• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Voice on AT&T Nexus One counts as Texting?

Vegeta

Lurker
May 22, 2010
Hello Android fans, here is my situation.

I bought two Nexus One phones of the AT&T flavor, so I can use their 3G network. As with all Nexus One's from Google, the phones are unlocked.

The plan I enrolled in was for $119.00 for two smartphones with 550 minutes and unlimited data, but with no texting (as it costs like an extra $30 a month).

I decided to use Google Voice app, under the assumption that it transmits the messages via the data network, as I can use it under Wi-Fi just fine.

Well I got charged for sending 15 messages on my phone, and my girlfriend's phone (the other Nexus One) got charged 15 messages for receiving it. I checked my usage and it showed my Google number and listed the action as being "Text/Instant Message". So I owed about $6.00 in texts for just one week.

It isn't the price that bothers me, I already paid it, but I thought the point of data is we could use it for whatever we wanted as long as it didn't break the ToS. I haven't done it, but the fact that my GV messages were listed as "Text/Instant Message" does that mean using an AIM app would also charge me? Even though I paid for unlimited data?

As usual, the AT&T reps didn't know anything about Google Voice, or Android. Today I put a block on both my phones so that neither of them can receive text messages (I didn't know it was one of the few services that was offered for free). However, I was able to send and receive two Google Voice messages even after the block was enabled, so does this mean I will be charged again? Or perhaps the SMS block will block the portion of Google Voice considered as "text"?

I have heard people in the past use Google Voice successfully without a text plan, and would like to know if AT&T has found a way to charge for it.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I just checked my settings and they appear to have been correct, but I could be missing something.

Voicemail is set to E-mail me a notification, but the SMS notification is NOT checked. However the transcribe option is checked (as it is very useful), but from what I understand that the transcribe option uses the notifications of what you previously selected above it for voicemail notification, which is still just E-mail.

As far as SMS forwarding goes of Google Voice text messages, I don't see the option in the GV app to forward or turn off forwarding. I message my girlfriend's GV number (not the actual cell) and she does the same for me. We both only message using the GV app itself.

If any of you have a Nexus One, could you tell me how to check the SMS forwarding of the phone itself? I go the GV app and press the menu button>settings, but there is nothing there about it.

I'm not how other Android phones work, but when you setup the Nexus One, you can set your phone so that you can make calls or texts from your Google Voice number, without having to dial the special number, or text a friend's special number. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it though, because again, we used the GV app itself, not the default texting/messaging app.

I went to my messaging app when I first got the service and turned off the option to "auto-retrieve messages", but apparently that didn't matter.

I am hoping though that even there is an option I am missing and it is sending some SMS message behind the scenes, this text block will stop me from incurring 20 cent charges a message, unless they actually do charge for instant messages (which people at the AT&T forums say they do).

In the mean time, I think I will try out the neglected Google Talk app, to see if that fares any better, at least until I figure this out.

Upvote 0
The SMS Notifications is under
Menu>Settings>Synch and notifications

make sure notifications via SMS is NOT checked
@subsynth Those exact options are not available to me.

If I am on the home screen, press the menu button and select settings, here are my options:

Wireless & networks
Call settings
Sound & display
Location & security
Applications
Accounts & sync
SD card & phone storage
Privacy
Search
Language & keyboard
Dock
Accessibility
Text-to-speech
Date & time
About phone

The closest one is Accounts & sync, however that only have two options which are already enabled.

Background data: Applications can sync, send, and retrieve data at any time.

Auto-sync: Applications-sync data automatically

The latter then shows twitter, facebook, gmail, and Last.FM as applications that are currently using the auto-sync. It would appear that this only has to do with the data network, no options or anything about SMS, not even the default messaging app is listed here, so that rules out that even if that reason/option was the case, the app isn't listed.

But thanks, it was worth a shot.

Upvote 0
@subsynth Those exact options are not available to me.

If I am on the home screen, press the menu button and select settings, here are my options:

The closest one is Accounts & sync, however that only have two options which are already enabled.

Background data: Applications can sync, send, and retrieve data at any time.

Auto-sync: Applications-sync data automatically

The latter then shows twitter, facebook, gmail, and Last.FM as applications that are currently using the auto-sync. It would appear that this only has to do with the data network, no options or anything about SMS, not even the default messaging app is listed here, so that rules out that even if that reason/option was the case, the app isn't listed.

But thanks, it was worth a shot.

You're looking in the wrong area. Open Google Voice, then press Menu which should bring up the menu for GV. Settings >> Sync and Notifications.

Upvote 0
On my N1 I have 'refresh & notification' but there is nothing about sms in there.

Have you checked the marketplace to see if there is an update? I seem to recall one lately. I have the option mentioned earlier. Also, could be that google voice checks to see if it can actually send you an SMS, and if it can't, the option might not appear. Don't know if that's part of its logic or not. Just guessing. Also, I think you can use a computer to go to your google voice account and turn off SMS notifications there.

As far as IM counting as a text message, it depends on the app and the phone. "Dumb" phones kind of fake AIM, Yahoo Messenger, etc. by using text messages to and from some sort of proxy, IIRC. So those do count. Smartphones generally just use data, but again, it would depend on the app (although I don't recall seeing anything in recent memory that uses SMS). Being new to Android, I could be completely incorrect on this. My experience is mainly with BlackBerry and iPhone.

Upvote 0
Are you getting a duplicate text message when someone texts your GV number?

Sign into the GV website. Go to settings in upper right corner. Under phone tab (should be the default tab showing) click edit. Uncheck the box next to "Text Settings" that says "Receive text messages on this phone (mobile phones only)"

That solved the problem for me.

Reactions: applejosh
Upvote 0
Are you getting a duplicate text message when someone texts your GV number?

Sign into the GV website. Go to settings in upper right corner. Under phone tab (should be the default tab showing) click edit. Uncheck the box next to "Text Settings" that says "Receive text messages on this phone (mobile phones only)"

That solved the problem for me.

Well said.

Completely forgot about this tweak... it was so well hidden when I was having the issue.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones