Google Voice on PhotonGeneral

1. doneve141

doneve141 Well-Known Member

I like many others am a Google Voice user. Sprint integrated it in to their phones a while back but I didn't bother with that as I already had it set up and running on my phone. I just got the Photon and set up Voice. It is set up through the integrated path. The first thing I had to work around was a security setting in voice for answering the phone. It would ring, I answer and then would have to hit 1 to get to the phone call. Turning off the call screening got rid of the extra set.
    The next thing I found was Voice is receiving my texts. I can't find a way to shut this off. I use Chomp. Others may use something else but I like Chomp. I don't like Voice receiving my texts. It defeats the purpose of having something else on our phones. Has anyone else run into this? Has anyone else found cure? Maybe Voice doesn't like the photon or likes it too much.

Advertisement
  2. StevieV1699

StevieV1699 Member

I'm not exactly sure the problem you are having but I have GV as well and I have the voice app on my phone. So if you text my google voice number it just goes to that app. If you text my sprint number it goes to whatever app im using for text (Stock, Handcent, etc). Everytime I go to make a call it asks me if I want to use GV or not. I really like this set up and used on my EVO. two numbers on one phone.
  3. doneve141

Yea, when I set it up on my Photon I let Voice use my Sprint number. Everything was linked to my Sprint number and going through Voice. I have now uninstalled Voice and unlinked it for other reasons found in another thread. My texts are coming to the phone now. I may have to set mine up as you have using my Voice number and not letting it use my phone number. If I reinstall depending on other issues.
  4. Mikenk

Mikenk Well-Known Member

I hope someone can give me some guidance here; needs to be simple as I am not a phone teckie.

On my TP2, I had set up on Google mail when people call my number, it bounces to Google Voice which sends me an email with the message. This works great as I travel lots to Europe and this way I see who is calling via wifi and can respond or wait. It is the same way on the Photon. Is there some new features that will help me more?

Also, I usually get a local sim card for local calls and for emergency. Is there anything new in Google mail that can make this better. I don't want to have someone calling my cell phone and the call to bounce to a foreign Sim card thereby costing them money to do so.

Thanks for any education.
    Mike
  5. StevieV1699

StevieV1699 Member

my set up is. Unlink your sprint number in google. In GV app settings--> Making calls---> ask every time I make a call.
  6. StevieV1699

StevieV1699 Member

I'm confused. When you say google mail do you really mean google voice? do you have a google voice number?
  7. Mikenk

Mikenk Well-Known Member

Actually, I think I mean both. I had to set up a google email account first. I then set up (forgot how I did this) a google voice number that all my calls automatically transfer to for voicemail. People call my normal Sprint number; if i don't answer then it transfers to the Google voicemail; this then sends me an Google email with the message both transcribed to text and with the ability to play it back on the computer or phone.

I have no clue whether there is a better way to do this.

Hope this helps for understanding and didn't make it worse.

Mike
  8. StevieV1699

StevieV1699 Member

I'm confused. When you say google mail do you really mean google voice? do you have a google voice number?
  9. StevieV1699

StevieV1699 Member

Ok I understand your set up now. What's your ideal situation. two numbers? or 2 numbers that are routed to one VM box?
  10. doneve141

What I had before was 2 numbers, one with sprint and one with Google Voice. When I set it up with the Photon I put it all on my Sprint number. That isn't working for me. I am having reboot problems that went away after removing Voice from my phone and unlink the number. If the reboots stay away I may try to reinstall and set it up as before with 2 numbers using the same voice-mail.
  11. StevieV1699

StevieV1699 Member

Thats interesting, I had my first Photon for 14 hrs and it decided to shut off and not come back on. Got a 2nd Photon and had the common no sounds on calls issue. Installed GV and I haven't had any problems. Besides the no sounds which appears to be a software issue. On my EVO i never had one problem with GV and so far none on the Photon
  12. rykomatsu

rykomatsu Member

Only perused through, but...

To keep your GV and Sprint number separate, skip the integration, but setup GV.

Then, dial *28xxxxxxxxxx where xxxxxxxxxx is your GV number. This will forward your voicemail to GV.

In GV, if you set the status to Do Not Disturb, once a call gets forwarded to GV, it goes straight to GV Voicemail (otherwise it's like 10 rings to get to VM).

By doing this:
    -SMS will goto your phone
    -VM will goto GV
    -GV will e-mail your phone with transcribed voicemail
    -Voicemail can be listened to using your GV app on the phone
    s_anella and tbhausen like this.
  13. tbhausen

tbhausen Well-Known Member

Excellent summary, rykomatsu, and exactly how I use GV. Also, I use GrooveIP for VOIP calling via GV. It works terrifically on the MoPho.
  14. tbhausen

tbhausen Well-Known Member

I would also add that I uncheck the email notification option in GV (on the PC settings page). GV has an option to notify for VM's via the status bar, so I thought email notifications were a bit intrusive and redundant.

Another cool thing I do is use my GV number for "impersonal" texting, such as when I post a craigslist ad and don't want to give my primary phone number as a contact.
  15. doneve141

I was in Best Buy this after noon and they said there are a lot of problems around the latest release of Voice. These problems weren't there on older versions. I need my phone to work for the next few days. I'll try meddling some next week when I have more time. I think the set up described above is defiantly the way to go.