Google Voice Plus?

Last Updated:

1. Mike20878

Mike20878 Well-Known Member

I used to have an app that was supposed to let you specify which contact groups would use your Google Voice number and which would use the regular mobile number. I think it was called Google Voice Plus.

I can't find it anymore. Did Google shut it down? I'd like to find something with this functionality. There are times when I would like to be able to dial using my Google number and I don't really like the prompt option.

Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 Well-Known Member

I used to use Voice Choice. I had the paid version but I think they were/are pretty much the same? Maybe give them a look?
    OstrichSaK likes this.
  3. bruce73

bruce73 Well-Known Member

I use Voice Choice (free) and it works great. You can set up a list of contacts to use either your GV number or your regular one. The paid version has more flexibility, I guess, but the free version is perfect for my needs.
    OstrichSaK likes this.
  4. Mike20878

Cool, thanks. Does calling using Google Voice still use minutes? I'm confused by their app description when they say "So call those in-network cell phones with your cell line and save on minutes." Why wouldn't I still save on minutes? Doesn't VZW know I'm calling from my phone no matter which number I'm using?
  5. OstrichSaK

OstrichSaK Well-Known Member

I've been begging Google to add something like this to Voice so that I could at least designate contacts in my contacts list to use either the Voice or Carrier phone number w/o having to press anything else. Seems logical and rather simple. Glad I stumbled upon this thread because I wasn't even aware there was anything that did this yet.

Edit: I spoke too soon... the market doesn't produce any apps by that name. :(
  6. saptech

saptech Well-Known Member

7. divinebovine

divinebovine Well-Known Member Contributor

8. bruce73

bruce73 Well-Known Member

It does, because the number you're calling is being forwarded to GV via your carrier (that's my understanding, someone please correct me if I'm wrong). If you don't want to use your minutes, check into GrooVe IP.
  9. Mike20878

Nah, I'm not worried about it. Just curious...
  10. divinebovine

divinebovine Well-Known Member Contributor

There's probably a master thread somewhere on here with all your options for free calling without using minutes. Google Voice + GrooveIP/Talkatone, Google Voice + PBXes.com + SIPDroid, Google Voice + Voip.MS + CSipSimple, MagicJack app, and VonageMobile are the ones I'm currently aware of.