1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Google Voice: Push?

Last Updated:

1. skier10

skier10 Active Member This Topic's Starter

Hi everyone... just yesterday I got a new HTC Incredible, my first smartphone. I'm really happy with it, but I've got this annoying Google Voice problem.

I've been using Google Voice for a few months, and I was excited to learn that Google Voice on Android now had push notifications (aka Inbox synchronization). I read that version 0.3.2 added this, and all should be well. I downloaded the Google Voice app yesterday (0.3.2), and Inbox synchronization is on, but I've had delays of about 5 minutes with every message until the phone beeps. Could anyone shed some light on this? I've got all mobile data stuff on, I'm connected to wifi, and it's even plugged into the wall charger charging.

Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. worker1

worker1 Well-Known Member

The longest delay I've noticed is about a minute.

3. skier10

Is that when you've been using the phone and you get the notification, or when it's on standby?

4. gabbott

gabbott Well-Known Member

From my experience the notifications are pushed, they come in almost immediate whether the phone is in use or standby.

5. russell5

russell5 Well-Known Member

same here. It refreshes faster than the webpage on my computer.

i even use a add on for chrome for voice phone still gets it first

6. skier10

Okay, I'll just have to see how it goes then. Since it doesn’t seem to be a widespread problem, it must be related to my home network. I'll try some things, and if anything changes, I'll post back. Thanks for the input though!

7. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

Are you only seeing this delay while on WiFi or all the time, regardless of location?

8. skier10

Believe it or not, I haven't been outside of my wifi network since I got this phone yesterday. When I'm out and about on Monday, I'll check and see. Would being on wifi vs. 3G actually matter in this scenario?

9. regression

regression Well-Known Member

I have noticed I get notifications faster when I am using 3G. For whatever reason, when on wifi, my notifications come a couple minutes later than when on 3G. Instead of waiting until you are outside of your wifi network, you could just turn wifi off and see what happens.

10. skier10

Oh, okay. I just turned off wifi and when I get a message next, I'll see how the delay is. Thanks.