Google Voice Quality not so goodGeneral

Last Updated:

1. amarryat

amarryat Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Has anyone else noticed that calls placed using Google Voice don't sound as good as a regular cell call? I hung up from a friend and called right back using Google Voice, and it was more difficult to understand. I was using my bluetooth speakerphone, and their voice kept fading in and out. So I hung up again and called back via the handset, and experienced the same problem. I did this last week and also had this problem, but thought it may just be a temporary glitch. Apparently I also sounded fuzzy to them.

Shouldn't be too much different from a normal call should it? It's just basically calling a Google number, and then Google is calling to the actual number you want to call.

Advertisement
  2. Bing

Bing Well-Known Member

That's exactly what it is, so if you're getting poor call quality, it's likely just a bad connection, rather than a Google Voice issue. I suppose it's possible that part of that "bad connection" occurred through Google's hand-off, but I bet if you used Google Voice through a landline you'd find the call quality is fine, meaning it's not Google's connection at all.

3. Bug Splat

Bug Splat Well-Known Member

I use GV and Verizon numbers back and forth all day(one for work, one for personal) and have not noticed any call difference between the two.

4. amarryat

On the Incredible?

5. amarryat

That's what I thought, but every time I use it? And it's definitely not that way via straight cell. I was calling to a landline. I have used GV in my office and it is quite good, but still a bit of a dropoff in quality, but only a small difference. This fading in and out of the other persons' voice was very annoying.

I wonder if distance has to do with it, as silly as that seems. The call was to 1500 miles away. Anyone else made a "long distance" call via GV and could that be an issue?

6. KennyC

KennyC Member

Remember, your calls are still being routed through Google's servers. That's why you can record calls when using Google Voice, among other things. But on the other hand, it does introduce another layer where problems could exist.

You can report bad quality for your calls as shown here.

amarryat likes this.
  7. Taylored

Taylored Well-Known Member

deleted.