google voice question.. new number or use current #

Last Updated:

1. drudometkin

drudometkin Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I just got a Google voice invite and I'm trying to decide whether to use my current number or get a new gv number. If I choose to get a new gv number will I be able to set up the visual voicemail service with my current number? Or just with the gv number only? Thanks

Advertisement
  2. darkjinni2

darkjinni2 Well-Known Member

From my understanding you won't need visual voicemail, because your GV number will send the voicemails to your gmail account and it will even transcribe it into text for you as well. Hope that helps with your decision. It basically makes VVM obsolete.

3. thegreen

thegreen Well-Known Member

Get the GV number. Even if you don't use it, you can still have VM's from your current phone # sent to your GV visual voicemail acct. (activate in your settings)
    I only use my GV # to give to businesses/services etc.- especially if I don't trust them because it's easy to block them as spam later if I need to.
    I use my verizon # for friends and family. Voicemails from both #'s go to the same GV inbox, bypassing VZW's VM service.

4. AndroidsOfTara

AndroidsOfTara Well-Known Member

There's no reason not to get the new number. You don't have to use it if you don't want to, but it will be there when and if you're ready.

You can get a new number and only use it with your existing number for visual voice mail.

I did exactly that for a while with my old LG flip phone before I got a Droid.

I've been using my GV number as my only contact number for about 5 months now. It gives me complete control over who can contact me and how they do it.

5. Redflea

Redflea Well-Known Member

Thread hijack warning (now that the OP's question has been covered). :)

None of my VMs have been getting transcribed for a while - always shows "transcript unavailable. Any idea why?

6. thegreen

thegreen Well-Known Member

That's odd... I've never seen that. Amusingly wrong transcriptions are working fine for me, as of this afternoon. On calls via my VZW # anyway, if that matters.

7. dougwilson2000

dougwilson2000 Well-Known Member

Better to have a different #. That way free verizon to verizon will still work. GV # also gives you more options. Best to get a gv# that is a local call for you or a local call from a loved ones landline so they can call you free.

8. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 Well-Known Member

Yes, get a new number and use it for texting if nothing else.

Hijack alert:
    My only gripe with GV is the playback volume, it's soooo low. I can turn it up and hear the message but it's sort of a PITA to have to do that all the time. I'm still deciding whether I will use it for VM and texts or just texts but it's a definite win either way! I'll save a nice bit of change on texting :)

9. aggressor2323

aggressor2323 Member

That is exactly to the T what I use google voice for on my Droid.

10. fox

fox Well-Known Member

it takes a little while sometimes. check it again later and see if it is transcribed.

also, you may have it set in the settings to NOT transcribe them. check the settings. i think google defaults to not transcribe because it kind of is an invasion of privacy.

11. megush

megush Member

I've found that all GV calls go to GV voicemail but when people call my actual cell phone # & leave a VM, it is on the Verizon VM server so that I have to deactivate GV, listen to the Verizon VMs & then reactivate GV...any ideas on what I might be doing wrong there?

12. megush

megush Member

I think the best argument to get the GV # is that if you use the friends & family thing from Verizon (where non-Verizon #s don't eat your minutes) and add your GV incoming & outgoing #s you'll use so many fewer minutes on your plan each month. I've been watching our usage (I have GV, hubby doesn't but I use my phone for business) for the past few months since I got GV & we used to use 900-1100 minutes/month and now I'm shocked if we use 300

13. Redflea

Redflea Well-Known Member

DUH! Thanks! :) Somewhere along the line I must have turned off transcription and forgot about it. Just re-enabled...

14. dougwilson2000

dougwilson2000 Well-Known Member

Dial *71 plus your gv# and all calls will go to gvm. *71 is busy/transfer and will forward all calls to gvm.