• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Google Voice question

gatorbri

Apr 30, 2010
I want to use Google Voice strictly as a new phone number (so I can have a local number without changing my old number I have had for years). However, I don't want my voicemail being changed, I want to simply leave it as Verizon voicemail.

I signed up for a new number and it seems to be forwarding right. But now somebody just called my old number and got a Google Voicemail message. How do I change that so that it will be my Verizon message? I went into settings and it still shows "My carrier" as the voicemail setting. I'm confused.

Not sure why you would be having that issue. I finally went ahead and got me a number yesterday after my friend sent me and invite months ago. It was defaulted for my verizon number to use the verizon voicemail until I activated google voicemail for that line today. Does it still tell you to "activate to get google voicemail for this line" and your still having people get it anyway without activation?

Upvote 0
Not sure why you would be having that issue. I finally went ahead and got me a number yesterday after my friend sent me and invite months ago. It was defaulted for my verizon number to use the verizon voicemail until I activated google voicemail for that line today. Does it still tell you to "activate to get google voicemail for this line" and your still having people get it anyway without activation?
I think because I had to activate this phone number (my actual Verizon number) in order for it to forward the calls, that automatically made it start using Google Voicemail for this number as well.

I tried deactivating it, but then the calls were no longer forwarded. I can't seem to figure out how to have the calls forwarded, but calls coming in to my Verizon number still be routed to my Verizon voicemail. HMMMM.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones