Google Voice Question...Support

Last Updated:

1. contagous

contagous Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Does the GV incoming voicemail/txts/missed calls only apply when the google number is called? or can it also apply for the cellphone number?

If so how do I set that up, because atm, if I get a text to my google number, it comes in the google voice inbox, but if i get a text to the cellphone number I don't.. is this how it should be? or have I got a setting wrong, Also I should say, I haven't got my Incredible yet, so the phone its setup on is my Omnia, but this isn't a Omnia question as I don't have an app or anything on the phone, just that GV is set up on it, till my Inc arrives.

I hope that makes sense to someone as reading it back I confuse myself lol

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. necosino

necosino Well-Known Member

Yea, you have it set up right. What you have to do is start giving people your google voice number instead is your VZW number. I do this for anyone that want to text that doesn't have Verizon.

Sent from my HTC Incredible using Tapatalk Pro.

contagous likes this.
  3. contagous

Ok so it does just handle the voicemail/txt from the google number...

Sadface. i liked my cellphone number lol, aight well i'll use both for now, and maybe switch when people know it.

I really thought it could handle both, dno why I thought this hehe

Thanks necosino for fast reply

4. contagous

another quick question...

Is there any other services/apps that people know about which will do the cellphone number voicemails/texts/calls in like a inbox type of way like GV?

this is for a friend of mine, who doesn't wan't to use GV

5. Contempt

Contempt Well-Known Member

My google voice is set up for my verizon number and my phone goes to GV if you call the cell number. During the setup I used my existing number 1st and made GV the default voicemail, then later added a custom google phone number to my google voice account through my PC.

So I can also give out the new google number and it will go to my phone as well.

I'm fairly positive you can set it up for multiple numbers including your existing number in the way you wish to.

I was new to it and it seemed intuitive to do it the way I did during setup.

If I did something wrong it is certainly working the way I want it to and thought it should.

To clarify you can dial my VZW OR the GV number and it will ring my phone. Both default to google voicemail which I have set to text me, but not email me. Many more features available with your account online.

Good luck!

6. contagous

Can you clarify on how to fix this then? you can call both my numbers but only the google number goes through to gv inbox, as far as i know, ive tested it several times....

7. lexluthor

lexluthor Well-Known Member

Well, text to your cell number, there's not much you can do about that.

But, you can use GV as your universal voicemail box.

You forward, no answer, your cell phone to your Google Voice number and in Google Voice settings, go into the cell phone you set up and go to advanced settings and for forwarding options, set when someone calls this phone directly, go straight to voicemail.

If you don't have that option, when calls forward to your GV, it'll go in a circle and ring your cell (and other numbers).

Also, in that section, it'll give you instructions on how to forward your cell phone.

If you set this all up right, when someone calls either your GV number or your cell number, calls will go to your GV voicemail box.

Also, if you get any MMS, you'll have an issue with only giving out your GV number, since GV doesn't support MMS.

8. contagous

That makes thing a bit clearer thank you

9. Contempt

Contempt Well-Known Member

Trust me, I am no expert. It seems to me you can change many settings and add lines through your google voice account on your PC.

There are also several GV videos online.

Sorry I am not more helpful to you.

10. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

I have the same setup as Contempt. If I get a call to my cell#, it ends up as a GV voicemail if I don't answer. If I get a call to my GV#, it rings into my cell# and once again, if I don't answer, it goes to GV voicemail.

On my PC, I set GV up the following way. On the "Phone" tab, I have my GV# that I created. Directly below that, I have my cell # listed as "Forwards To" and the box checked for it.

11. contagous

Yeah I set that up and now my VM goes to GV for both numbers :) much better, I was really just looking for a way of doing the same with standard texts, but thanks guys :)

12. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

If Google were able to shunt texts directly to/from a Verizon number, it negates the need for paid texting while using their infrastructure to do it. Don't think Verizon would be too appreciative of that.

13. contagous

Yeah, its not that I don't wanna pay for it, its just I would love to able to view them online when at my PC, and reply :)

Thanks

14. DodgerinNH

DodgerinNH Well-Known Member

I believe you get around the Verizon texting service by merely unchecking on your PC (in Google Voice) in the Voicemail and text tab where it gets sent to your Verizon number. Then you can cancel your Verizon texting service and just make sure all your friends know to text to your Google voice # ONLY. Otherwise you'll get charged the per text charge by Verizon.

The text should come in as an SMS notification in your notification bar on the phone, and then you open the Google Voice App and you have a conversation open just like you would by going through standard Texting App.

Don't quote me on this, because I haven't seen my bill yet, but I was told this was how to go about it.

15. contagous

I don't want to lose my VZW msgs, this is not what I was trying to do, thanks anyways for the info