Google Voice questionSupport

Last Updated:

1. jayno20

jayno20 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

How do you sign up for google voice and make it so you can have your cell phone number as well as your google voice number? I basically want all incoming calls to come right to my cell phone unless they call my specific google number. When I tried to do it online it made it sound like all incoming calls would automatically be routed to my google voice.

Advertisement
  2. jayno20

Basically all I want to do is be able to MAKE calls FROM Google Voice when I choose to. I want friends/family to contact me through my regular number as well as me contact them through my regular cell number. If I call a business I would like the OPTION to call through GV. Is this possible?

3. Chango99

Chango99 Well-Known Member

There's a thing called edit.

AFAIK GV just forwards to your regular number. You can't "call" through GV. You can kinda "call" international numbers with credit... that's it.

4. Bug Splat

Bug Splat Well-Known Member

You can call through your GV number from your Cell, just download the GV app. You can also set it to forward all people that call your GV number to your GV voice mail yet you can still call out.

You can also use the GV webpage to make calls. From the control panel you can call a number and GV will call your cell. Once you answer GV will link your call to the person you are calling.

5. jayno20

Is there no way to just have it there and only use it when I want to?

6. tbta02

tbta02 Well-Known Member

if you use the google app to call out of your cell phone w/google number , does that call go through wi/fi and internet so your verizon minutes wont get charged ? or does it go through the phone and use your minutes ? im still waiting for my invite .

7. MathewS81

MathewS81 Well-Known Member

It goes through your phone and uses minutes

8. jayno20

I thought it didn't use minutes?

9. Bug Splat

Bug Splat Well-Known Member

It does use minutes but if you add the acces number to your top Friends and Family numbers the calls are free.

10. jayno20

how do you do this?

11. jayno20

OK never mind, I see how to do it. I am a little disappointed because the F&F plan is 20 dollars more than I am paying right now. I was under the impression that you could use GV for free to call/receive which would have been perfect for the few people I know that use AT&T. I am assuming there is no other way to make these calls for free then correct?

With that being said, other than the voicemail, what is the real benefit of GV?

12. MrTissues

MrTissues Well-Known Member

Having 1 number that you can use with all your phones in the future. Free SMS with MMS support hopefully coming. Also when Google implements VoIP your calls should be free because they are using data. Google hasn't said anything about implementing VoIP but with their purchase of Gizmo5 I can only imagine that that is their intention.

jayno20 likes this.
  13. jayno20

OK, so what I would want to use it for seems like it MAY be coming in the future. Gotcha. I guess I'll just wait it out. Thanks for the tips :D