google voice questions......

Last Updated:

1. cafolla2

cafolla2 Member This Topic's Starter

soo got some GV questions

first, Is there any way to know weather people are calling my cell number or my GV number. and is there any way to send all GV calls to voice mail.

second, now that ive got my account, how do i send invites to people lol

Advertisement
  2. Little Darwin

Little Darwin Well-Known Member

I don't know how, but if you want to practice, I'll send you my email address to send me an invitation. ;)

I'll let you know whether I receive one or not.

3. j_preu

j_preu Active Member

You can see who called you by going to the app then labels then received. You can play around with the options on your pc to send whoever you want to voicemail..and have different messages for different callers.

BTW..is it really that hard to get an invite? I just requested one and got accepted a couple days later. To send an invite go to the lower left of the screen on your pc. It should be there.

4. j_preu

j_preu Active Member

Most of the functions/settings you'll need to access from your computer.

5. cafolla2

cafolla2 Member This Topic's Starter

just figured out the voicemail... now i need to figure out how to get invites to send to people lol, i already have my account, and users get 3 invites i believe, just dont know how to access them

6. j_preu

j_preu Active Member

Go to google.com/voice and in the lower left you will see "Invite a Friend".

Simple.

7. SlothyUK

SlothyUK Well-Known Member

Big Fan of GV!! 2c a min to my native England. AWESOME

8. nedar

nedar Member

Another question regarding google voice. When i use google voice application to call people from my cellphone am i still using my cellphone minutes?

I get weak cell phone reception at home so I sometimes use google voice on my phone with wifi turned on and make calls and occationally my calls get dropped which i suspect are because of weak signal but i am under the impression that google voice is using wifi or cellphone internet to make a call.

I suppose i could try to disconnect my mobil network and turn wifi on and see if i can use google voice.

Aybody played around with this??

9. regression

regression Well-Known Member

Google Voice (by itself) is not VOIP. It uses your cell minutes. A couple months ago Google bought a VOIP company (Gizmo something??), so I would imaging VOIP is on its way, but who knows when it will get here.

10. regression

The only way I know how to tell if someone is calling your Google number vs regular cell number is to have Google announce calls. When that is turned on, when you answer you have the options to talk to the person, send them to voice mail or listen in to their voice mail.

Or, you could have Google display your Google Voice number instead of your caller's number. If you go this route, I would recommend turning on "announce calls" so you know who is calling you.

11. poppedcolla

poppedcolla New Member

Does anyone have an invite they'd like to share? I'd love a chance to try it out! And I'd even be willing to trade a Google Wave invite :)

12. bucksnut03

bucksnut03 Member

if anyone is willing to share, i could use an invite for google voice ? my email is bucksnut03@gmail.com

13. slimboutit

slimboutit Well-Known Member

I just got an invite off of ebay, and it seems promising, but I've got two issues. First I can't get my hero to dial out with my google voice number no matter what. It doesn't work if I set it to ask me to use google voice or if I set it to always use google voice. The only way that I can get my google voice number to show up on someone else's caller id is to call my own GV number and do it from there. Second, since my invite came off of ebay, are the invites that should have been included removed removed. I can't find any anywhere. Can anybody give a screen shot to show me where invites should be :)

I just figured out that you have to dial the whole numer including area code for the GV app to give you the choice, still can't find invites though.........

14. SamuraiBigEd

SamuraiBigEd Under paid Sasquatch! Moderator

I applied and still didn't get an invite after almost two months, I had to purchase one on Ebay. Also, the "invite a friend" does not show anywhere on my Google Voice page.

15. SamuraiBigEd

I do have calls connect to G.V. intermittently without the area code, but only if the number is in my contacts. Wish they would fix that one, all calls should route through it if selected.

16. regression

I know with other Google services (like when GMail first came out and Google Wave), invites don't show up for everyone. You might have to have your account for a while (days / weeks??) before you see the invite box on the bottom of the left column of the Google Voice website.

17. fallonjp

fallonjp Member

18. SamuraiBigEd

19. autorail1

autorail1 Well-Known Member

I'll trade for a wave invite.