Google Voice Search and Default BrowserSupport

Last Updated:

1. lexluthor

lexluthor Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I have 2.2 OTA on my DX and I have the Google Search widget on my home screen.

If I do a voice search through that widget, the results come up in the stock browser.

If I do a text search, the results come up in my default browser (Dolphin HD).

How do I get voice results to open my default browser instead of the stock browser?

Advertisement
  2. lexluthor

This doesn't happen to anyone else? I'd be surprised if it's just me or there isn't an easy fix.

3. lexluthor

Well, at least can someone who has an alternate browser as default try this and let me know what browser comes up for you when doing a voice search using the google search widget?

Unless the if only happening to me, I'm surprised no one seems to care about this. Kind of cripples the whole voice search thing for me.

4. lexluthor

Am I just missing something easy here?

Isn't their one person who can test this out and tell me if the results are the same as I'm seeing or if your non-stock default browser does open when doing a voice search?

5. godfatherip

godfatherip Member

I know this is an old thread but it seems to me that there is no way to make voice search use a browser other than the stock browser. I even deleted my stock browser to see if it would then give me the option to choose a different browser when I used voice search. All this did was cause voice search to force close after doing a search. Maybe future versions of the app will change this behavior so that an alternate browser can be selected but right now it does not seem like you can change it.

merman69 likes this.
  6. lexluthor

Thanks for bringing this back up. I can't believe there's no way to have voice search pull up your default browser.

merman69 likes this.
  7. merman69

merman69 New Member

*bump*?

Any news on this? I too am floored that there's no way to force Google Voice search to use the default browser... especially when the same app/widget does it for text searches.

I'll keep searching and post if I find a solution for you guys.

cheers.

@godfatherip for the tip about removing Browser... I was going to try that, so you saved me some time and frustration! Thanks!

8. depechegore

depechegore New Member

Hi there, i have an LG Optimus 350 , from a carrier here in mexico named Telcel, that carrier alter the Browser and the Quicksearchbox to get data from their users search (i ignore the reason they have), detecting that, i decided to delete those aps, i resolved the issue of quicksearchbox.apk reinstalling it from the market to /system/app (previos rooting, and using es file explorer -remount) but i have the same issue with google voice and the google browser, i use opera mini, and dolphing hd, and prefer that results of voice search be displayed in anyone of those browsers. pardon my english. :eek: