Google Voice Search commands - what works & what doesn'tTips

Last Updated:

1. trale

trale Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

(Note I'm referring to the google Voice Search utility, not the Voice Dialer utlity)

So far: I've confirmed that 3 special voice commands work on my Droid X:

"Navigate to <place>" opens Google Navigation and gives you directions to <place>
    "Locate.../Map of.../Find..." will all open and search google maps.
    "Directions to <place>" will open google maps and give you directions to <place>

However, there are supposed to be more (from my research), but none of the following is working:
    "Call <contact> mobile/work/home/etc" to call that contact
    "Dial <number> " to dial the number

These (and everything else besides the 3 I confirmed) end up in the browser with plain old google search. Can anyone else attest to this? Has anyone discovered any other working voice commands?

Advertisement
  2. exwifeusesiphone

exwifeusesiphone Well-Known Member

The Google search bar doesn't accept the same commands as the Voice Commands app, they are different. Confusing, I know.

You know you've activated the Voice Commands app because it says "say a command," Google search just shows a "speak now" popup. It only understands those three commands you listed above (as far as I know) and otherwise just does a Google search.

3. archer

archer Member

Some of the commands that are suppose to work are
    Call <Name or #> Call John Jones Mobile - Call Bill Bixby 555 555 5555
    Play <Play List>
    Check <Item>
    Send Video <Name or #>
    Send Picture <Name or #>
    Go To <Menu>
    Look Up <Name>
    Send Email <Name>
    Send Text <Name or #>

Also in options there is a place to train your voice for better recognition.

Most of these commands do not work for me though.

4. Travisimo

Travisimo Well-Known Member

The ones I've used successfully and consistently are:

Navigate to...
    Map of...
    Call...

Or just say a phrase you want to search and it will open the browser and search via Google. To use the "Call" one, make sure you have enabled "Contacts" in the Google Search preferences (Go to Settings/Search). Works just fine for me as long as I say the name that have entered in the Contact name area.

5. edgeman4

edgeman4 Well-Known Member

Exwifeusesiphone is on the money. Voice commands are used for phone stuff, google voice search is used for google stuff. Kind of confusing because navigate could be thought of as being both.

If you hit the search button on your Droid X you get the google search (then hit the mic for voice search) and that gives you web, maps (and navigation), and places stuff. If you HOLD DOWN the search button, voice command will open, then and only then will you be able to use the majority of those commands posted by Archer (call, send, play, etc.)