• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Voice SMS Notification Problem

digitized

Nov 6, 2009
I have been using GV for a few weeks with no problem. I mainly use it for SMS, saving me and my GF $30 a month ;). Recently, GV will not auto notify us of new text messages. I have the Droid and she has the Eris, I know for a fact that GV voicemail notification is working on mine, not sure about hers. She likes things simple, and this started to get annoying. The only way I can get GV to notify me of new SMS is to open the app and wait a few seconds. I haven't changed any settings, wondering if anyone can help here.

I have been using GV for a few weeks with no problem. I mainly use it for SMS, saving me and my GF $30 a month ;). Recently, GV will not auto notify us of new text messages. I have the Droid and she has the Eris, I know for a fact that GV voicemail notification is working on mine, not sure about hers. She likes things simple, and this started to get annoying. The only way I can get GV to notify me of new SMS is to open the app and wait a few seconds. I haven't changed any settings, wondering if anyone can help here.

I found it easier to just use the email notification of new SMS. Not only easier, but more reliable, since Gmail is pushed but GV SMS isn't. This also beats the minimum 5 min notification in the GV app settings.

Another note, you might want to try reinstallling the GV app.

Upvote 0
Hm.. that's odd. I've been using google voice since last year (and Grandcentral before that), and I've finally been able to fully switch to using my GV number.
I've turned notification off on the GV app, and have google voice (set up through the website) set to forward all SMS messages to my actual cell number. Then I save the (406) number as whichever contact SMS'd me. I pretty much only use the GV app to send 'new contact' messages (and for all outgoing calls).
I also use the app SMS Popup (which IMHO should be included in android).

I actually sent Craig Walker (one of the GVoice/Grandcentral founders) an email asking how he configures HIS phone to best use Google voice as his main number... haven't heard back yet, but still hopeful.
Mbe he's on a blackberry.

Upvote 0
I pretty much only use the GV app to send 'new contact' messages (and for all outgoing calls).

Why not just use dialer and pick to use Google Voice?

I actually sent Craig Walker (one of the GVoice/Grandcentral founders) an email asking how he configures HIS phone to best use Google voice as his main number... haven't heard back yet, but still hopeful.
Mbe he's on a blackberry.

How long ago did you send it?

Upvote 0
Thanks to all for helping. I tried reinstalling GV and I still have the same problem. I get no SMS notification. As soon as I open the GV app, I get all my messages. Notification through Gmail works, which is fine for me but not the wife. We were hoping to switch to GV and cancel our text plan altogether. Maybe now is not the time. I also tried reinstalling on her Eris with the same results.
???????

Upvote 0
I'm having this problem with latest Google Voice app (0.3.4) on my Acer Liquid on EDGE data network. I have "Synchronize Inbox" and Background data on my phone. But it doesn't push the notifications. I have to use "refresh" or close & reopen the Google Voice app to get the updated inbox. Noticed that if I'm on a wi-fi network, it gets pushed after about 5 mins. Anyone else having similar problems?

Upvote 0
I'm having this problem with latest Google Voice app (0.3.4) on my Acer Liquid on EDGE data network. I have "Synchronize Inbox" and Background data on my phone. But it doesn't push the notifications. I have to use "refresh" or close & reopen the Google Voice app to get the updated inbox. Noticed that if I'm on a wi-fi network, it gets pushed after about 5 mins. Anyone else having similar problems?

Are you using Juice Defender or a Task Killer? Those will mess with your instant notification.

Upvote 0
I don't have such programs running in the background. Have noticed that a real SMS sent to my cell # triggers the GV push notification. As a temporary workaround, I leave GV app running & view a thread while sleeping the phone. Then when I press power button I can check for msgs without unlocking. Still wished the auto push notification worked though. Google Voice should at least bring back the old interval auto checking. I prefer sometimes not to be interrupted instantly, but in 30 or 60 min intervals.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones