Google Voice & Texting?General

Last Updated:

1. Pegleg

Pegleg Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Anyone familiar with using GV/Verizon for texting to avoid texting charges?

Advertisement
  2. JrzDroid

JrzDroid Well-Known Member

3. Kevkelsar

Kevkelsar Well-Known Member

Texting through GV is 100% free. As long as your texts go out and in through Google Voice. This means you have GV set as your default messaging program, and that the people text you back to your Google Number. I've been using it since I got my Eris and have not paid anything for texting even without a texting plan. :)

4. starseed42

starseed42 Member

5. antnyp85

antnyp85 Well-Known Member

Well I have set one of my "Friends & Family"/"My Circle"/Whatever Verizon Calls it, Numbers as that connecting number Google Voice uses to connect when you make a call. (Sorry for my lack of better terminology, but hopefully you know what I mean). THAT makes my outgoing calls through Google Voice free. I usually use it for any out-of-network calls that I make... But yeah, incoming calls won't be free....

As for texting... In my opinion, I rather keep my unlimited texting plan with Verizon for now... I don't like the fact that texts aren't "push" through Google Voice, or the fact that you can't send/receive MMS through Google Voice... JUST my opinion is all. Hopefully it'll get better in the future :)

6. JrzDroid

hopefully, Google is working on GV more and more. As soon as GV supports push texts AND MMS, thats when i drop my text plan

7. karib

karib Well-Known Member

I just set everything up to get free sms with gv, but gv app kept force closing on me. I am back to using my verizon texting plan until things improve. I also wasn't crazy about the fact that I had to use the gv # and it was unrecognizable to everyone. With some effort, I could've worked it out, but I guess its just not worth it to me at this point.

8. grvthang

grvthang Well-Known Member

You're waiting for GV to handle MMS? Im waiting for the stock app to handle it! I haven't been able to properly receive one yet.

9. Haywire

Haywire Well-Known Member

I use google voice almost exclusively for texting. With the forward to email option its pretty fast. Theres only a few people that actually have my real verizon number, I haven't ported over from att yet and I didnt want to give the temporary number out.. But I may just keep this number and say F* the other on one even though I had it for a few years.. which is a record for me lol!

10. CycloneFever

CycloneFever Well-Known Member

This is what I did (more or less). I started giving out my GV number to everyone some time back. No one even knew when I switched from ATT and got a new phone. I haven't given out my VZW number to anyone. As far as anyone knows, my GV number is my cell phone number.

11. Kevkelsar

Kevkelsar Well-Known Member

It only Force Closes when you first boot up your phone, mine does the same thing. However, it still works. Just open it right after it FCs and it will be on until you manually end it with a task manager or power off your phone.

12. JrzDroid

ditch the stock app

use Handcent SMS

anyone know what this thanks thing is?