• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Google Voice through browser

sarzec

Lurker
Mar 27, 2010
I've been using the google voice/gizmo5 combination for a couple of months now. The only issue I still have is initiating calls. Correct me if I'm wrong but i'm under the impression that the only way you can start an incoming google voice call(GV calls you then connects to the other party) is through the browser. The issue I have is the mobile version of google voice does not seem to work on any of the browsers I have tried(browser, dolphin, opera). If I touch the call button it says connecting but I never receive the call. If I set dolphin to act as if it's connecting from a desktop then I can use the non-mobile version of the google voice website to initiate a call and that works normally but it is a pain to use compared to the mobile version.

If anyone has had these same issues and found a solution or has any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated.

Sarz

I've been using the google voice/gizmo5 combination for a couple of months now. The only issue I still have is initiating calls. Correct me if I'm wrong but i'm under the impression that the only way you can start an incoming google voice call(GV calls you then connects to the other party) is through the browser. The issue I have is the mobile version of google voice does not seem to work on any of the browsers I have tried(browser, dolphin, opera). If I touch the call button it says connecting but I never receive the call. If I set dolphin to act as if it's connecting from a desktop then I can use the non-mobile version of the google voice website to initiate a call and that works normally but it is a pain to use compared to the mobile version.

If anyone has had these same issues and found a solution or has any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated.

Sarz

On my phone I make both google voice calls and regular calls through the dialer.

When selecting a contact to call I get a prompt that says "Call with google voice" or "Call without google voice".

If you go into the Voice app on your homescreen go into settings; under "General" you will see the title "Making Calls"; you can set this to always use google voice or prompt you.

Upvote 0
How do you get an invite for Google Voice?

i have google voice setup on nexus. weird thing is that i never applied for an invite. i just initiated the application when i got my nexus a while back and signed on with my gmail account. i completed forgot about it for like 2-3 months. and thing my interested peaked in google voice and i let google voice to handle my voicemail. then i logged onto my google voice account. it was all there. i just applied a google voice number and everything was setup. i never got an invite or anything. maybe it's a nexus thing?

Upvote 0
i have google voice setup on nexus. weird thing is that i never applied for an invite. i just initiated the application when i got my nexus a while back and signed on with my gmail account. i completed forgot about it for like 2-3 months. and thing my interested peaked in google voice and i let google voice to handle my voicemail. then i logged onto my google voice account. it was all there. i just applied a google voice number and everything was setup. i never got an invite or anything. maybe it's a nexus thing?

Google Voice comes with Nexus One, you do not need an invite. Just start ap and sign in with you Gmail.

Upvote 0
Found a solution if anyone else was having this issue. There is a free app called Google Voice Callback that will intercept all your outgoing calls and have google voice call you and connect to the outgoing number. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Im not sure I understand; do you not have the voice app on your phone? It should be seamless? I don't require any secondary app for the functionality your describing.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones