• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Voice: turn off access numbers?

Bing

Jun 1, 2010
Washington, DC
I tried searching for this already, but could not find an answer, so I apologize if I missed it.

Currently I have a Droid Incredible, and am helping my parents consider a Droid 2 for my brother (who I think would need the keyboard). I calculated that it could actually save my parents some money if he switches to Google Voice (for free SMS, and possibly free calls). The problem is: I haven't updated my Google Voice app for a few months, since they changed it so every number you call connects via a different access number. That way I still have a single access number for everyone I call -- from my parents (also on Verizon) to 800 numbers -- meaning that by adding that single number to my Friends & Family I now have unlimited outbound calls.

I'm concerned, then, that my brother would get a Droid 2 and start burning minutes. I've heard there's a solution with a "callback" application, but as I understand it that would require (1) all your phone calls to appear to be inbound from your GV number, meaning you can't look-up who you called last, and (2) whenever you place a call, your phone would ring, which could be unwanted noise in certain situations.

Is there any answer to my concerns? Has Google allowed you to turn off the "direct access" numbers? Do "callback" apps not mess-up your "recently called" list or make noise when they "call back"? Or is my best option to find and install the old Google Voice .apk file on his phone?

Thanks in advance!

Shouldn't be too hard to find the old google voice .apk since it's on your phone :) You can back it up and get at it using astro file manager.

Can't you still also dial in to your google voice number than then make a call out from there? That solves your problem of the ringback, but doesn't solve the problem of having an accurate list of who has been called.

Upvote 0
Shouldn't be too hard to find the old google voice .apk since it's on your phone :) You can back it up and get at it using astro file manager.

Can't you still also dial in to your google voice number than then make a call out from there? That solves your problem of the ringback, but doesn't solve the problem of having an accurate list of who has been called.
Thanks for the reply!

Yeah, I may just have to copy the .apk over, but I was hoping that a more elegant solution had popped up since Google Voice crippled itself here.

As for calling your own GV number to then make an outbound call: yeah, that leaves the "no proper record" problem, and also adds another issue of having to manually remember your contact's numbers every time you want to call them, as well as making outbound calls take at least 2x as long to place. I might not mind these solutions for myself, but I'm trying to automate them for family members who aren't as technical.

Upvote 0
Google voice callback app will answer automatically when it calls you, it usually picks up before, or just as, the phone rings.

I also use voice choice, it's a nice little app that automates what always uses GV and what doesn't.

The call log for GV is accurate, it show what actual number you called and what actual number called you. It's pretty easy to go to the app and have a quick peek.

Upvote 0

Can someone explain to me how to do this? I have tried several times now and can't figure it out.

I'm using a rooted Droid Incredible with 2.2, and the default ROM (Sense UI, etc.)

Upvote 0
Can someone explain to me how to do this? I have tried several times now and can't figure it out.

I'm using a rooted Droid Incredible with 2.2, and the default ROM (Sense UI, etc.)

When Google Voice got updated to remove the use of a single access number I saved the version of Google Voice that I had installed. I uploaded it here:

http://ge.tt/2Hq9eSM

This link should supposedly be good for 30 days.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones