Google Voice users?Support

Last Updated:

1. thefanmyj

thefanmyj Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi, everyone. A quick question for Google Voice users:

Do you use GV for texting? I'm thinking about telling my friends and family to use my GV number instead of my cell number. Seems like an easy way to save $20, since I won't have to pay Verizon for a text plan. Does anyone use GV for this, and if so, has it worked well for you?

Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. tsanuri

tsanuri Well-Known Member

It can work very well, but I recommend keeping the $5 text plan since it only takes a few people every month making the mistake and hitting the wrong number, which does happen, and you are at that $5 mark.

3. DrJD

DrJD Well-Known Member

Agreed... Although if you make the official switch it isn't too bad. You get charged 20 cents per text without a text plan. So do you think you'll get 25 texts outside of google voice? I've had to remind three people to text the other number, so far I'm out 1.20... But after a month or two I don't expect to ever get texts to the official Verizon number.

I wish there was a slightly better SMS program, but the Google Voice one does an admirable job. I've added some "Direct text" icons for those I text often into a contacts folder which allows me to quickly text people through google voice :)

4. ndfan4u

ndfan4u Well-Known Member

Actually, I have wanting to use it but not sure how it really works. I have my GV number and when I text someone using my GV#, the GV# shows on the receivers text. I thought there was to be a 406 number. I am so confused. :confused:

5. jweber

jweber Active Member

Yes and it works really well, I don't give verizon a dime for texts.

As far as the others saying to keep a $5 a month plan... it's a waste of $5, just have verizon put a text block on your phone that way if someone does text you at the wrong number you wont get charged nor can you accidentally send out a text from your regular number.

I have the text block on both DX's and been using Google Voice and thats it. It took about a week to get everyone on board with my google number but to save $30(unlimited family text) a month on my bill it was more than worth it.

Just a side note if you use launcher pro or ADW launcher you can have the google voice icon in your dock and change the icon to a text icon and it will default to google voice text(if you se up the default like that) so you don't have to have a shortcut on the screen

6. northwst

northwst Active Member

I use it exclusively for texting... just takes a little bit to get everyone onboard...works very well.

7. h3liumX

h3liumX Active Member

I give my google voice number to non-verizon friends/family. It seems very reliable so I may make a full switch at some point. Only thing is you have to use google voice to view all your messages so there isn't much customization like you could have with handcent etc. Worthwhile if you text a lot though.

8. D13

D13 Well-Known Member

Yeah i totally switched to gv texting. It takes awhile before you can totally switch but once everyone knows you are good to go:)

9. sic0048

sic0048 Well-Known Member

Just keep in mind that GV doesn't support picture texts. It's not a big deal for me, but for some people it might be a reason to keep the $5 Verizon text option. Then you could send picture texts via Verizon.

10. drhill

drhill Well-Known Member

I only give out my GV number. I use Google Voice Location so that when I get to work it forwards call to my cell and direct line at my desk. When I get home it forwards to a Gizmo 5 number and my cell.

I had verizon block all texting on my line and my wifes. We also use chrome with the google voice extension so you can send and answer texts from your browser. It's great.

I also feel better about spending $30 a month per line for data when texts are included.

I'm against MMS because of my idiot friends, but my wife complains about not having it. I'm sure they will add it eventually.

11. FastEddie87

FastEddie87 Member

I love it and works great but hope you had the Google voice before this last update get GV for Free @ market place.

12. Nabraham

Nabraham Well-Known Member

I've been using it for two months now, dropped my texting down to the $5 plan. I just have to tell the occasional person here or there about my new number. It works very well.

13. BiscoPat

BiscoPat Member

Google voice has saved me $15 a month for the last three months, can't beat that !!!

14. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus Well-Known Member

I suggest blocking texting. I did that.

15. DrJD

DrJD Well-Known Member

Blocking text is a brilliant idea, I didn't even think to do that.

Also, I found this great program today called "Voice Plus". Essentially, with this app I was able to tell Google Voice to always dial out with my google number. Then, with this Voice Plus app you can tell it certain numbers to automatically opt out from that. IE your other verizon users. So when I call my wife, it automatically calls from my cell number not my google number. Very handy app...

16. thefanmyj

thefanmyj Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

17. mntbighker

mntbighker Well-Known Member

Major bummer about GV is it won't do "short codes" so a huge number of things like facebook or twitter notices won't work. This means a lot of people can't kill their VZ SMS plan.

Big bummer

18. exwifeusesiphone

exwifeusesiphone Well-Known Member

I didn't think GV was syncing with my phone...Guess what, it is! I just responded to a text on the comp, and the green light stopped flashing after about a minute. Awesome. Probably have to leave data push on though, you battery misers.

Voice plus sounds freakin' handy, going to the app store.

19. drhill

drhill Well-Known Member

What can "short codes" do that you can't do with your smartphone normally since you have internet access?

20. Jayme

Jayme Well-Known Member

yea that stinks :( I get pix messages from my job so I'm kinda stuck with keeping VZw for texting.

21. Jayme

Jayme Well-Known Member

I thought with GV you can already set your calls up this way. I even think that you do for each individual if you choose <not sure about this I haven't used GV in a little while>.

I stand corrected! you my friend are correct. You can have your GV number displayed when you text NOT when you call.

22. DrJD

DrJD Well-Known Member

It updated today and they changed their name to Voice Choice, so for those of you who are planning on finding it :)