google voice using your own numberGeneral

Last Updated:

1. canrunin

canrunin Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

i understand how google voice works and the advantages of using a google voice number. my question is how does it work if you use your own number?are there advantages to it or disadvantages to using it. i dont want to give out a new number to everyone. and how is the text messaging free through google voice? if it goes to your verizon phone wont you need text messaging on the phone?

Advertisement
  2. copestag

copestag Well-Known Member

number vs non number makes no difference whatsoever in regards to using the voicemail features........ IMO theres no reason NOT to get a number if one is available in your local calling area...... that is to say EVERY feature available without a GV number is also available with a GV number...... the opposite is not true

as far as texting goes..... its my understanding you would need to have a google number in order to take advantage of free texting.... with the way that it operates

you need the GV client on your phone (available in the Market for free)..... when you want to sent a text you just open the client and send from there......this text will appear to come From your GV number on the receiving end.......... in order to receive free texts then you need to go to the online GV website and under settings>voicemail and text> select Forward text messages to Email....

this way when someone sends a text message to your GV number it is forward to your Email instead of being sent to your phone directly (this eliminates any text charges from Verizon)........

summarized: you send txt from the GV client on your phone... you receive txt through the email client on your phone....... yes its a little more tedious process....... but its completely free this way and you can save the $$ from whatever texting plan you have with Verizon

of course I only casually use GV so if anyone has different theories or thoughts feel free to correct me :)

3. timmywa

timmywa Well-Known Member

I need to look closer, but it seems to me that the texting action didnt change my network from 3g to 1x so is it really using vzws texting system?

4. SirEagle

SirEagle Well-Known Member

The more I read about it, the of a pain in the as* it sounds like.

5. v941726

v941726 Well-Known Member

i get how it all works, but so does vzw. i have 4 lines on my acct. 1400 min plan. we average 800 to 1000 mins/mo. i wanted to use gv to cut my mins back to 700/mo. and save $20/mo. but vzw takes away friends and family at 700/mo, so its useless to me. they will never let you cut your costs, only increase them

6. copestag

as long as you use the GV client on your phone to send messages....... and you have your settings online to receive text via email then all texting that takes place through your GV number will use your data service and not the vzw texting service............. any text not sent through your GV number will still go through the vzw texting service

7. v941726

texting is included in the new family plans. again useless to me. damn vzw!

8. copestag

there are 2 types of family plans available........ talk+text or just talk....you happen to be on talk+text........ you could have the exact same talk plan for $30 less and individual texting plans for each line if you choose.... which is what my wife and I do...... she does a moderate amount of texting and has the 500 msg plan for $10.......... I have no texting plan because I rarely use texting....... it costs me like 20 cents for each text or something like that...... which amounts a a few dollars some months........ other months I have zero texts so no reason for me to pay for a plan ....... with GV I can have no text plan and still do the small amount of texting for free now

9. v941726

i checked into that. maybe not enough but, i would have paid more by making my plan a separate talk plan and my 3 kids on a family text plan...on the talk plans they dont have f&f either do they? cuz then i could use gv and get a low minute plan. it seems that whatever i looked into it didnt cut my bill. gv is useless for cutting minutes and texting w/o f&f

10. copestag

ya the F&F is the same on both types...... kicks in @ the 1400 level ...... so no you wouldnt be able to cut back with that type either...... youre just in the group that doesnt get the "added" benefits from GV........ but you can still use it for its intended purpose........ its not designed to lower peoples cost on anything....... thats just a added benefit that some enjoy.......

its intention (other than the autonomous phone number) is to transcribe voicemail for you so you dont have to call into your vm to check it

11. canrunin

canrunin Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

thank you for the most part thats how i thought it worked but wasnt sure,now im sure.

12. srmccoy

srmccoy Well-Known Member

I chose not to get a Google Voice number for a couple of reasons. First, I only have one phone. I use my Eris for everything (work, personal, etc.). Also, getting my new number out to everyone would be more trouble than I care for. I've had my personal number for about 8 years now.

Using my own number lets me use all the voicemail features, which is the whole purpose. Since I don't have a work or home phone, using a GV number was simply a non-issue for me.

13. v941726

i use fusion voicemail plus for voicemail..its like vvm w/o the monthly cost. plus you can read it or hear it, although the transcriber isnt the greatest. but it gives you the gist if you dont want to listen to it

14. namlee78

namlee78 Well-Known Member

In order to use free text, I understand I have to send it from google voice app. but, what about to receive them? I thought that receiving text with google number is free even if you turn off forward text message to your email function.

Am I right?

15. copestag

yes as I said I only casually use it so dont know all the exact specifics.....

but I did do some testing this morning....... as long as you have the GV client on your phone and sent all text from the client........ and as long as all incoming are sent to your GV number then its completely off the network (free)...... theres no need to use the email forward at all

namlee78 likes this.
  16. namlee78

namlee78 Well-Known Member

Thank you so much. I was afraid to use it. I'll try to testing also. I'm going to call verizon and ask them to block my SMS on my phone. after that I'll send text from my work cell to my google voice number then, we'll know it's not using my carrier's network.