Google Voice Verify via Txt Msg?Support

Last Updated:

1. mykd99

mykd99 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I just upgraded my DX to 2.3.320 and installed JRummy's Rumm Rx v1.0, it has the most recent version of Google Voice, which asks to verify my phone number by sending a text message from my phone to Google Voice service. Problem is, I don't have text messaging from Verizon. Why no? Because I have it for FREE with Google Voice! How do I get around this. I have never had to do this before.

I installed version 0.4.1.19, but that did not work, same scenario.

Anyone else having this problem?

EDIT: I was able to use Titianium Backup to restore version 0.4.1.19 which somehow went to version 0.4.2.8, but since it restored the app + data everything works now. Not sure if I can do that again b/c it changed my version number in TiBu as well.

Advertisement
  2. rehpyc

rehpyc Well-Known Member

Your phone can still receive texts without a plan, it'll just be $.20 (I believe that's the price these days) per text sent/received to your normal (non-GV) number.

3. mykd99

mykd99 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

That may be true, however, I do not only not pay for text messaging, I BLOCK ALL texts coming to my VZW number. So this type of verification will never work.

4. BookLover

BookLover Well-Known Member

Certain verifications for mobile (like from banks and credit cards or Amazon and from any service that uses an email gateway for SMS) will not work with GV numbers. So you need to have an active text service for those specific verifications.

You can pay a la carte or sign up for the smallest text plan from your provider. You can't avoid that.