Google Voice voicemails only play through speakerphone speaker?Support

Last Updated:

1. Vesbon

Vesbon Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I finally changed the voicemail system on my Hero from Sprint's "visual voicemail" (which is misleading because it doesn't transcribe voicemails) to Google Voice. It's nice to see my transcribed voicemails now.

However, when I actually want to hear them (if the transcription didn't work well), it only comes through the external speaker; the speaker on the back of the phone.

I went into Google Voice settings and under "Voicemail Playback" I tried the only two options: "Play via Handset" and "Play via Speaker." Unfortunately, both play through the speakerphone speaker.

How do I change it to the phone speaker? I also can't adjust the volume, so the whole world hears my voicemails through the external speaker.

I'm running Android OS 2.1 on my Sprint Hero phone.

Thanks,
    -v

Advertisement
  2. dpeeps74

dpeeps74 Well-Known Member

Are you rooted or not? Just curious. I have had this problem before as well, but it was only when i was rooted on a fresh rom. I'm not really sure either how i resolved it because i really don't get a lot of voicemail, so i wouldn't think to really check if google voice was working properly or not. now i'm on darchdroid 2.7 rom and i do not have that issue. Also on 1.5 i never had the issue. I definitely know that was a frustrating problem though.

3. jimdroid

jimdroid Well-Known Member

My Google Voice app won't consistently play voice messages. Sometimes they play, but most of the time I can't hear the message at all. I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling, but I get the same thing.

For now, I just listen using a browser.

4. Vesbon

I really played around with Google Voice last night, on both my cell phone (my Hero) and my home phone. I love Google products, but my overall impression of Google Voice is that it's not quite ready for prime time. This seems odd because it was GrandCentral before (which I never used) and I would think they had it working good before Google bought it.

The whole thing was quite confusing, and sometimes when I called my cell phone for a test call I would get a "Please state your name so Google Voice can call the person you need." I don't want my callers to hear that odd message.

I'm thinking of going back to Sprint's cheezy Visual Voicemail.

Thanks,
    -v

5. Vesbon

No, not rooted and I just bought the phone 2 weeks ago.

-v

6. dpeeps74

dpeeps74 Well-Known Member

the only time i've ever gotten that message is after i flash a new rom and/or reinstall google voice, and call my phone without having opened google voice application on the phone.

7. bucketheadmn

bucketheadmn Well-Known Member

I have had the same problem - never have I been able to play a Google Voice voicemail through the handset, only speaker.

8. Qnz92Lude

Qnz92Lude Active Member

Same issue here running 2.1, some time using the volume control on the left side of the phone adjust the volume when you can't hear the message. It's very annoying at times it plays on hand set & speaker randomly.

9. Conman57

Conman57 New Member

Same issue running 2.2, cannot play google voice through handset, only speaker