• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Voice, what's the point?

Some people may not know they have invites. Seems they don't really highlight the new features the way they do with gmail and google calendar.

Originally, google didn't give us ANY invites. Everyone had to follow the same drill, go to the website and request an invite to GoogleVoice. Mine came in like 2-3 weeks.

I only had 3 though, so you might not find an invite very easily.

Upvote 0
Some people may not know they have invites. Seems they don't really highlight the new features the way they do with gmail and google calendar.

Originally, google didn't give us ANY invites. Everyone had to follow the same drill, go to the website and request an invite to GoogleVoice. Mine came in like 2-3 weeks.

I only had 3 though, so you might not find an invite very easily.

3 where given to everyone...Also, part of the reason people don't know they have invites is they don't. Google is rolling them out slowly...I think they started around 2 weeks ago, and I just got mine a few days ago (gave out 2 to members of this forum! :) )

Upvote 0
I have Google Voice...but I haven't given out the number yet. Primarily because of mobile to mobile.

Everyone I know uses Verizon.

I need to have caller ID showing who is calling, because I generally don't answer my phone. So having the call use my GV number, and adding that as a friends and favorite number isn't an option.

I don't want to receive every call as coming from my GV number. What's the point of having all the contacts in your Droid with picture caller ID etc if it shows up with the same number every time any way?

Am I missing something here?

Upvote 0
I have Google Voice...but I haven't given out the number yet. Primarily because of mobile to mobile.

Everyone I know uses Verizon.

I need to have caller ID showing who is calling, because I generally don't answer my phone. So having the call use my GV number, and adding that as a friends and favorite number isn't an option.

I don't want to receive every call as coming from my GV number. What's the point of having all the contacts in your Droid with picture caller ID etc if it shows up with the same number every time any way?

I just use it for voice mail.

Upvote 0

Yes, you are missing something. :)

There is a setting in your GV options to select whether your GV or caller ID appears when you get an incoming call.

l_62c9aa9486034936a68055011106cc4c.jpg

Upvote 0

There is a setting in your GV options to select whether your GV or caller ID appears when you get an incoming call.

Yes...I know that. That is how I currently have it set up.
It uses the CID instead of the GV number.

Does that count as mobile to mobile if they call my GV number?
Or does that count as a landline call, and against my minutes?

Upvote 0
Yes...I know that. That is how I currently have it set up.
It uses the CID instead of the GV number.

Does that count as mobile to mobile if they call my GV number?
Or does that count as a landline call, and against my minutes?

hmm... I couldn't answer that one for you. :( That varies by plans and services. A great deal of us have unlimited incoming, so this question is not one I have ever had to ask.

Upvote 0

Is there a way to set it up so that the caller is only prompted to say a name if their number is blocked?

I tried from my house phone (which is blocked) and if I have the settings as pictured, I get "Unavailable": in CID, and the call is just connected directly. However, if I change Call Presentation to ON then the caller has to say a name, and I have to listen to a name before being connected, even if the number is NOT blocked.

That seems redundant to me, is there anyway to fix that?

Upvote 0
The option you want is Call Screening for blocked users. GV then prompts the CALLER to speak a name.

Call presentation does not interact with the caller at all, but interacts with GV user. The most common reason to use this is so that calls do not get "answered" by one of forwarded phone's voicemail. That would preclude GV's own voicemail from ultimately answering a call.

Upvote 0
Okay, somebody help an idiot out. When I (inevitably) get my Google Voice invite, I'm still deciding whether or not to use my own number or a GV number. Is it possible for someone keeping their own number to have people who call that number get routed to Google voicemail?

Sorry if this is a stupid question. I'll probably get a GV number, but I just wanted to make sure that people who I don't give my new number too get routed to the same voicemail inbox. Thanks.

Upvote 0
Okay, somebody help an idiot out. When I (inevitably) get my Google Voice invite, I'm still deciding whether or not to use my own number or a GV number. Is it possible for someone keeping their own number to have people who call that number get routed to Google voicemail?

Sorry if this is a stupid question. I'll probably get a GV number, but I just wanted to make sure that people who I don't give my new number too get routed to the same voicemail inbox. Thanks.

I don't think we can port our already current phone numbers over to GV yet,. It says it's a coming soon Maybe feature, but right now we have to use the new GV number...

which is kind of a why should i use GV then question? because i've had my cel phone number for like....7 years now... why would i want to start telling people that i have a new number?

Upvote 0
Yes, look at the graphic....the option is the call screening option in settings.
You would want to set the option to Enabled, and for blocked callers.

In the graphic it IS enabled (Enable Screening is checked, and screen ALL unknown callers is seleceted). My settings are currently exactly the same as in the graphic.

Yet still, with the Call Presentation set to OFF, I'm directly connected and the caller is not screened. Only when I set Call Presentation to ON is the caller screened.

To be sure, I did change the option to Screen only callers with blocked caller ID, yet with Call presentation set to OFF I'm still directly connected.

Upvote 0

I think it might be best to get the GV number. You don't have to use it but you have it if you ever decide you want to use it. (Like giving it to a service person when you don't want them to have your cell number.) Everyone else can still have your real number.

If you elect to just use your own number you can not go back and change to a GV number later unless you get a new invitation and an new account.

Upvote 0
OK there seems to be a lot of questions about settings and what they do. I will post screenshots of every settings screen, so you guys know what it looks like. Hopefully JoeC will help me out in answering any questions that cannot be answered with the pictures.

This is on an account where I've elected to have a new number for google voice. You also have the option, when signing up, to use your existing number. I have no experience with the latter.

l_e09948d6c4bb4e1ea9965622e453a9ed.jpg

l_46c412ff853c47de9223e063894256bc.jpg

l_4bff772471be45a3809cedbfd798a6b1.jpg

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones