google voice without google number

Last Updated:

1. shavald

shavald Member This Topic's Starter

I am using Captivate on the AT&T network and looking into google voice. Since the main feature I am intereseted in (for now) is the visual voice mail, I was thinking of getting the option without the GV number and therefore, keeping my cell phone number. I have several questions:

1. Does this work well with the Captivate phone?

2. Is there any delay in getting the voice mails by going through GV?

3. Does this eat into my data plan at all? Currently, I am only on the 200 mb plan per month.

4. If I try to get text messages thru GV, would that not use up my data plan and instead come thru my internet connection ( which could at times be free if I am in a WiFi zone) ?

thanks

Advertisement
  2. rob989_69

rob989_69 Well-Known Member

I don't believe there's any way for the VM to work without the number. However, the number is not intrusive, doesn't mean it's goign to take over your cell.

3. JuneNYC

JuneNYC Well-Known Member

There's an app called voice + it's a 3rd party add on for the google voice that makes your regular number show up on the caller id.

1. Yes, works very well with the captivate. I'm using it with success.
    2. There is no delay. Only the visual text transcript takes some t time. The voice recording shows right away.
    3. Uses less than 30kb per sms and free over wifi.
    4.free over wifi. Hardly uses any data.you can virtually have unlimited texting with gv.

I average about 50+ texts peer day and gv is saving me from paying an extra $20 for the text plan.

4. contradictions

contradictions Well-Known Member

1. The Google Voice app works very well on the Captivate and I forward my voicemail to it all the time. It's a way I can link my work cell phone and personal cell phone to a single voicemail box.

2. The delay in getting google voicemails is seconds compared to your regular phones voicemail. Part of that time is for transcribing the call it seems.

3. Google voice uses data to play your voicemail through the app and for texting. You will want to keep track of your data usage while you try Google Voice, but it shouldn't be too bad.

4. Google Voice text messages will use whatever data is available, either your phone data plan or wifi if it is available. It's cheaper than the phone texting rates.

5. ewingr

ewingr Well-Known Member

I am having problems finding good instructions to set it up, and don't really understand what to expect.

I had a friend send a text the other day and I received it. He sent one this morning, and I had not tunred on the phone, and had not loaded GTALK. When I did, I never got it, so I guess it only sends the message real time.

The main thing I don't understand is how to send text messages to someone that is in my contacts, but not in my GTALK list. Any tips on that would be greatly appreciated.

In the meantime I'm going to look into Voice +

6. smeltn

smeltn Well-Known Member

I really miss visual voicemail more than anything on my Captivate. Is Google voice the only way to get visual voicemail?

7. DT

DT Well-Known Member

I just setup GV with my existing cell number. About 2-3 minutes to do it:

Select use my current number (vs. a Google phone number)

Click call me

Enter the supplied onscreen code (basically just enter a couple of digits during the call like any voice response system)

Dial a giant string to forward VM, seconds later you'll see a confirmation on your phone.

I made a couple of calls to myself, left messages, got perfect transaction via email as well as the original VM as a downloadable digital file. I turned off SMS since I'd prefer to go email only (and that's just data vs. my limited SMS subscription).