1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Google Voice

Last Updated:

1. newandroid10

newandroid10 Member This Topic's Starter

I am looking to get a Android phone and integrate Google Voice with it.
    However, I am confused as to how this really works. While looking online I've read things about having to use access numbers or having GV call you first, etc.

Basically I just want to know this:
    1)If I want to make a call using Google Voice on my Android phone, how does it work?
    2) Can I simply dial a number and connect to the person I'm dialing using my Google Voice number (without having to call GV first and then enter the number I want to dial OR have to use special access numbers)?
    3) Does my GV# show up on their caller id or does some random access number show up?
    4) Is there any delay (i.e. longer dialing times than if I were to use my phone's native number?
    5) Is there anything different about sending/receiving SMS messages that I need to know about, or is it essentially the same as sending/receiving SMS messages normally?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: One more question. Since I'll be on the limited 200mb AT&T data plan, I was wondering if anyone has a rough idea of how much data the Google Voice app uses.

Advertisement
  2. BigD562

BigD562 Well-Known Member

I'm waiting for my android device to release. So I can use google voice, but I've done a lot of research so I can answer a few of the questions and someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

1. When you sign up, Google will allow you to pick a phone number to be your GVoice number. You can set that number to forward calls + SMS messages to different phones. When people call your Google number you can specify which devices should ring depending on the time of day, and/or by who is calling.

2. The official Google Voice app will give you the option to dial out with Google voice or your mobile number.

3. If you dial out using your Google Voice account it will show up with your Google voice number.

4. I can't answer this per se so hopefully someone else can chime in on this.

5. Text messages you send and receive via the Google Voice app are free. However, if you have your Google Voice account set to forward SMS messages to your Verizon mobile number, those SMS messages are treated the same as any other sms messages.

*The official Google Voice app only checks for SMS every 5 minutes, however, if you have actual SMS forwarding enabled from GV to your cell, it's instant. While this is kind of redundant, it removes the GV refresh-rate delay. You can then disable SMS notification in the messaging app, so you end up with a lot of 'hidden' and unread SMS, but if you don't use the Messaging app, that doesn't matter.

If you would like to conserve SMS usage, it is possible to have your SMS messages forwarded to your Gmail account. This can be done from the Google Voice website under Settings > Voicemail & SMS. This is a good workaround for the GVoice 5 minute refresh problem. GMail is pushed, so any SMS messages forwarded to your Gmail will be received instantly. Remember to disable SMS forwarding to your mobile if using this method.

Bonus Question: It's not considered as "data"... Here's something I found for ya.

"Yes. Dialing out and receiving calls via Google Voice uses up your minutes exactly the same as if you aren't using Google Voice at all. When you dial with Google Voice you will notice at the top of the call screen a white notification box that says "Calling via Google Voice" followed by a telephone number. This number is an access number which then forwards your call to your intended destination. When viewing your billing and usage statement, this is the number that will appear as being dialed."

I hope this helps out.

newandroid10 likes this.
  3. tcope

tcope Well-Known Member

1) You dial the number as usual and the app shows a pop up window asking if you want to use GV or not.

2)The GV app sends the number you are calling to Google via data connection. Your phone then dials Google. Google puts the two together and forwards the call to the number you dialed ans spoofs your number to show up on their caller ID.

3)If you tell GV app to use your GV number, your GV numbers shows up on their end.

4) It takes the same amount of time.

5) It's the same but I'm pretty sure the SMS show up in you GV app.

Bonus Question: I'm betting next to none. It does send VM messages to your phone via data but I'm betting this is highly compressed.

4. regression

regression Well-Known Member

Dial the number as normal (or pick from your address book). When you press Call, GV will either pop up and ask if you want to use your GV number or you can have GV automatically use the GV number and not ask you. This is a setting in the GV app.

Lets say you have the GV app set to always use your GV number, when you make a call, it will actually dial an access number. That number will pop up for a few seconds, then you will see the actual number you are connecting to. It is transparent to the user.

Your GV number.

I haven't noticed any.

The GV app uses data for text messages. You can have texts forwarded to your phone, that will be a "normal" text message. I have that turned off since I only need to be notified once (ie, from the GV app).

Not sure.

5. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

I haven't paid attention but it's going to depend on who you ask. It's not a fixed amount of data per month but varies with usage (like any other question along these lines).

6. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 Well-Known Member

No, it's instant. I get my GV texts on my phone before they hit my laptop most of the time.

7. JackG058

JackG058 Well-Known Member

The app, at least on Android, shows $.10 on the bottom edge, no matter what calling state you've chose, i.e. use for all calls, ask for each, use for international, etc. What does this apply to, anyone know?

8. regression

regression Well-Known Member

That is how much credit you have in your account. When you sign up with Google Voice, Google gives you $0.10 to start out with. You can use this for international calling. And of course you can add more credit if you need to.

JackG058 likes this.