Google Voice

1. jmims

jmims Well-Known Member

GV was just updated. Anyone know what was changed/fixed?

Advertisement
  2. Kappy79

Kappy79 Active Member

I was wondering the samething. Looking at settings I noticed that there was no longer a setting for how long between updates. It could be that it now supports push. Can anyone confirm?
  3. TheSultan

TheSultan Well-Known Member

It said something about needing to re-open Google Voice after a route call. I wondered if it had something to do with people using it to route (forward) numbers to their G.V. numbers. Some guy last week, I forget where, had a problem that it never hung up the call, and he was charged for a 24 hour phone conversation.
  4. CrunchSA

CrunchSA Member

Todays update is confirmed to have push notification.

Google Voice Blog

I've tested it and it works fantastically!
  5. sn0skier

sn0skier Active Member

yeah just found this out too. Fing awesome. Seriously I felt kind of dumb switching to GV when I realized no push SMS, but this makes it more then worthwhile.
    There needs to be an article on this.
  6. jimdroid

jimdroid Well-Known Member

I also think they fixed the FC on startup problem that plagued the Hero and (I think, though I'm not sure, the Eris). Or, at least it looks as if they fixed it after three test reboots.
  7. mandlar

mandlar New Member

I try to enable "Synchronize Inbox" and get the following message: "We have a problem. Failed to save synchronization setting."

Anyone else getting this?
  8. UncleMike

UncleMike Well-Known Member

After reading the first two posts, I downloaded the update and left myself a voicemail message using another phone. I received the transcript forwarded to my Gmail within a minute or two, but an hour later I had yet to receive anything in the Google Voice app. After opening the Google Voice app I could briefly see that the Inbox had not been synchronized, though it did sync within a few seconds.

I had previously set up Google Voice to forward to my email, in an effort to get push-like notification, and disabled notification in the Google Voice app. After the update, I enabled the notification within the app. What am I missing?
  9. CrunchSA

CrunchSA Member

Did you enable the "Synchronize Inbox" option? It was disabled by default after I updated.
  10. njKeever

njKeever Well-Known Member

Push is working great for me now!
  11. regression

regression Well-Known Member

12. mandlar

mandlar New Member

Nevermind, I signed out of the app and signed back in and it is now correctly working.
  13. athflying

athflying Well-Known Member

It's nice to see progress being made, but there are to many features in Handcent that I like to give it up.
  14. Lock-N-Load

Lock-N-Load Well-Known Member

yes I did, so I signed in and out that fixed it

BTW, you have to have gMail Data Sync turned on of course.
  15. Lock-N-Load

Lock-N-Load Well-Known Member

tested it...

got instant notification and listened to the VM

The Transcript lagged about 1 minute behind the alert.

had to turn off the feature in GV (on the web) to stop having it send it to my gMail because if you do not, you get a gMail and you get the GV app alerting you. 1 alert is enough.

seems to work.
  16. mi_canuck

mi_canuck Well-Known Member

Google Voice Blog: Faster Google Voice Experience on Android

good update... I just had someone leave me a vm, and indeed the notification is MUCH faster (sometimes would take like 10-15min to get the notification!) (make sure you have 'Synchronize Inbox' enabled in the Refresh and Notification settings panel...

i love how fast google is putting out updates!
  17. ranphi

ranphi Member

So when we enable the "inbox synchronization" in this new update should we disable BOTH SMS settings within the Google Voice settings (via a web browser)? The 2 SMS settings I'm referring to are:

1) "Send a text (SMS) message to:" which is found in Settings - Voicemail & SMS - Voicemail Notifications

2) "Receive SMS on this phone (mobile phones only)": which is found in Settings - Phones - Cell - Edit button -SMS Settings

I've got the second option from above turned off in GV and text messages seem to be coming through much quicker in GV, but I'm unsure if I should also turn off the first option from what I've read about this new update so far.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide!
  18. UncleMike

UncleMike Well-Known Member

I did. After a power cycle this morning it appears to be working fine.

Thanks.
  19. McFluffnStuff

McFluffnStuff Active Member

Yeah, this isn't working for me either. Is there a certain option i have to turn on somewhere to get it?