• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
As with almost all google programs, it starts out invitation only. Plus, it costs Google for those phone numbers. They probably cannot reasonably roll it out for anymore people than they are now (maybe slightly more, but not the increase that making it a free for all would create)

Plus (and this is the speculation part of my post), keeping it closed generates buzz. People get it, and they tell everyone because it is a sort of bragging thing. So now the friend wants it, which means they are now wrapped up in the Google environment.

-Nkk

Reactions: Tr1age
Upvote 0
So, when gmail first came out, once you got an account you could invite as many as you wanted by just emailing them. Is GV different in that you only receive so many invitations to send out?

Thanks,

Glenn

when Gmail first came out, only some users got invites, and they were limited. And then after you had it for a while, you got a few. (I think I got five at first, and I was very popular as a result)

Voice is the same. If you have it for long enough, you get three invites. I think it's a few weeks.

Upvote 0
I'm still waiting for my GV invite too. I had GV when it was Grand Central but didnt' use it much. So when they got bought I lost my exclusive ability to continue the service. Now I am just waiting for an invite from GV or a friendly Googler who has an invite and wants to share the genius with a droid friend. Anyone... Bueller...Bueller...Anyone?

Upvote 0
just Buy it...

Thats what i did... i hate to be asking ...pay 5 bucks..

go to ebay... and get it.. use ur paypal account... u can even pick ur own number...i was like wow... they had like hundreds of number u can pick on any area code u like.

I only use it for texting and is awesome... the text is so fast just like the regular texting plans from verizon.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones