google voiceSupport

Last Updated:

1. golfinglenn

golfinglenn Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So I have been reading all about GV, but it seems impossible to get an invite and the wait is reported to be 6 months or more.

Any credible information why it is locked down to current users?

Thanks,

Glenn

Advertisement
  2. nkk

nkk Well-Known Member

As with almost all google programs, it starts out invitation only. Plus, it costs Google for those phone numbers. They probably cannot reasonably roll it out for anymore people than they are now (maybe slightly more, but not the increase that making it a free for all would create)

Plus (and this is the speculation part of my post), keeping it closed generates buzz. People get it, and they tell everyone because it is a sort of bragging thing. So now the friend wants it, which means they are now wrapped up in the Google environment.

-Nkk

Tr1age likes this.
  3. golfinglenn

golfinglenn Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So, when gmail first came out, once you got an account you could invite as many as you wanted by just emailing them. Is GV different in that you only receive so many invitations to send out?

Thanks,

Glenn

4. rezeew

rezeew Well-Known Member

when Gmail first came out, only some users got invites, and they were limited. And then after you had it for a while, you got a few. (I think I got five at first, and I was very popular as a result)

Voice is the same. If you have it for long enough, you get three invites. I think it's a few weeks.

5. Kyuss

Kyuss Well-Known Member

I got to wonder how they send out their invites though. I've been using Gmail since they started beta, sent an invite request for google voice (and wave) last year when they first became available (ie. well past 6 months ago) and still not a word.

6. MisawaCraig

MisawaCraig Member

I'm still waiting for my GV invite too. I had GV when it was Grand Central but didnt' use it much. So when they got bought I lost my exclusive ability to continue the service. Now I am just waiting for an invite from GV or a friendly Googler who has an invite and wants to share the genius with a droid friend. Anyone... Bueller...Bueller...Anyone?

7. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly Well-Known Member

Pretty much just buy one. I was fortunate enough to have a friend who had a few. Very hard to come by.

8. necosino

necosino Well-Known Member

You get 3 for a new account. If someone invited you, you don't get any.. I sold one for $150 on craigslist (did it as a joke, never expected someone to buy!)

9. jamesdean

jamesdean Well-Known Member

You get 3 whether its a new account or from an invite. Regardless, I find it takes several months for the invites to populate on either account.

10. Incredibleguy

Incredibleguy Well-Known Member

I've been using Google Voice for several years now and I love it. I keep a couple of invites for family members but if you can score one, get it. I used to carry a pager. No longer.

11. chepes3x

chepes3x Well-Known Member

just Buy it...

Thats what i did... i hate to be asking ...pay 5 bucks..

go to ebay... and get it.. use ur paypal account... u can even pick ur own number...i was like wow... they had like hundreds of number u can pick on any area code u like.

I only use it for texting and is awesome... the text is so fast just like the regular texting plans from verizon.