Google Voice's Voicemail service does not work for non-GV numberGeneral

Last Updated:

1. Mischka7

Mischka7 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi all,

My understanding is that you can use GV's voicemail service in lieu of the carrier's voicemail, even with a non-GV phone number.

I have selected the option in GV to use GV as the main voicemail for both my VZW and GV phone numbers. However, when someone calls my VZW number, they receive a "your call cannot be completed" recording and the call ends.

Does anyone know how I can correct this? Is visual voicemail behind the issue?

Thanks!
    Mischka

Advertisement
  2. dylo22

dylo22 Well-Known Member

If I remember correctly, you have to dial some numbers on your phone to get the voicemail set up. There should be instructions on the website that will tell you what to do. Sorry for not being able tell you more, but it's been a longtime since I last set it up.

3. dylo22

dylo22 Well-Known Member

4. dylo22

dylo22 Well-Known Member

5. Mischka7

Mischka7 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks guys, I actually already activated voicemail on the phone, but it still doesn't work.

6. GrandMasterB

GrandMasterB Go Go Gadget Flow! VIP Member

Its tricky, I used Google Voice for many months without any problems but I was not using the mobile app. Then I installed the mobile app and followed the Activation instructions in the GV app and it killed the service exactly like you are saying. After many MANY hours trying to figure it out I ended up reverting back to Verizon voicemail, calling to verify that it works and then re-adding the GV service, only when you set-up the app on your device you need to skip the Set up voicemail provisioning screen. Should work fine after that.

7. Lefort1

Lefort1 Well-Known Member

no problems here, I just followed GV's app instructions. Now free VVM with transcriptions!

8. krispy_mobile

krispy_mobile Well-Known Member

Worked fine for me as well. Not much help for the OP, but at least you know it *can* work. You may have already done this, but you might try removing your phone from your GV account and go through the steps again, making sure each step is exactly as expected from the instructions. Keep trying, free visual voice mail is nice, even though the accuracy could be improved.

9. Brian_83

Brian_83 Well-Known Member

Just do *73 send to undo any call forwarding and then follow the instructions to setup again which should be *71yourgvnumber.

10. sodaboy581

sodaboy581 Well-Known Member

I'd like to add that my Google Voice voice mail works just fine with my Verizon phone number as well.