Google Wallet cannot update anymore

1. shaddyyy

shaddyyy Well-Known Member

Apparently there was another update to Google Wallet to version 1.5-R79-v5
    but it states "your device isn't compatible with this version" do we have to side load the update from now on?

Advertisement
  2. jmar

jmar Nexican VIP Member

Sup shadyyy! I got the same error. I would imagine that a sideload would be in order but beware your source. With that in mind, I am yet to look for an apk since the current version is working fine, though I kinda really wanna update it. Lol. I will look around an try to post a link when I get the chance.

jmar
    shaddyyy likes this.
  3. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations! Moderator

WOW, I even tried to push it from play.google.com and it won't push to my Nexus. They've really locked us out of this one, haven't they? :confused:
    jmar likes this.
  4. NSutherl

NSutherl Well-Known Member

Here's the one I installed a couple weeks ago. I've got it all set up and it seems to be running fine, I just haven't had the chance to actually buy something yet.

EDIT: This is the R75 version, not the newest R79.
    shaddyyy likes this.
  5. shaddyyy

shaddyyy Well-Known Member

JMart!

Yeah I was thinking the same, mine works perfectly but having the most recent updated version is something i kinda want. I heard that there was a modded apk that takes away the carrier warnings so it doesnt matter what network you are on
    jmar likes this.
  6. NSutherl

The updated version was worth the install for me because I've got both my visa cards linked now instead the Google gift card.
  7. gt5oh

gt5oh Well-Known Member

im on version 1.5-r75-v6 and it works fine, just bought something today, what is the benefit of updating the app?
  8. NSutherl

On the version that I was previously on, you were only allowed to add MasterCard credit cards and Google gift cards. On the new version, you can add Visa, Mastercard, etc as well as the Google gift card.
  9. gt5oh

gt5oh Well-Known Member

the version i am on let me add my visa
  10. The_Chief

Yeah the1.5-R75-v6 version added all the additional card brands; I have all mine added. I have no idea what the R79 version brings to the table.

Is it POSSIBLE that this is a version for GSM phones? Maybe that's why Verizon users can't install it: it might botch a good thing we have with R75. Just speculating here...
    NSutherl likes this.
  11. Schex13

Schex13 Well-Known Member

Can I pull the .apk from my Nexus 7, as that updates to the latest version? How would I do that and is it a good idea?
  12. Crashumbc

Crashumbc Well-Known Member

Not sure what is in R79.

But...

When I tried to re-load GW a couple weeks ago, I could not load it from the market. I tried every trick in book that used to work. I think VZW has gotten serious about locking us out.
  13. The_Chief

Yeah, something tells me that we're kind of stuck with R75... IF it'll still work. I haven't tried it since the lockout...
  14. bcote311

bcote311 Well-Known Member

15. The_Chief

Hey Bcote, what's the version of Wallet in that apk? R75 or R79?
  16. keeska

keeska New Member

It is R75. It was posted around 1 August and has not been updated. I downloaded it and it is bit for bit identical with the R75 I already had.

I am still looking for R79.
  17. keeska

keeska New Member

iDon't likes this.
  18. TheyCallMeBT

TheyCallMeBT Well-Known Member

How do you know for sure that the apk is legit, other than trusting its source?
  19. nj02vette

nj02vette Well-Known Member

Hence the closed garden approach of app stores. Whenever you sideload, there is a slight risk.
  20. bcote311

bcote311 Well-Known Member

Yeah I got the R75 version. Do you know what the difference is?
  21. clb2196

clb2196 Well-Known Member

I'm going to add that new version to my phone. I'm currently still on a very old side-loaded version. What do I have to do to remove the current version before installing the new one? Thanks!
  22. Cincybearcatfan

Cincybearcatfan Well-Known Member

Is there any way to edit my build.prop file or another file to trick Google Play into thinking that we have an authorized device?
  23. NSutherl

I removed all my cards, reset Wallet (from its settings menu), then uninstalled it before installing the new apk.
  24. AntimonyER

AntimonyER AF Addict VIP Member

So, it finally happened this morning, tried to open wallet to pay for a drink, got a "This version is no longer supported, please update to latest version in Play Store". Except as we know, latest version is blocked from VZW phones. So after 9 months, Verizon has FINALLY managed to get Wallet completely blocked from being installed/updated from the market.

So we are going to need a safe apk for Wallet if we want to continue to use it.

edit:
    Ok, I installed the one from the xda link posted above. Another nice little bonus, you can't even get into the app to reset it, so I was gnashing my teeth afraid I was going to brick my secure element. But at least for me, it installed fine, and all my info was still there.
    iowabowtech likes this.
  25. The_Chief

You mean we can't even use what we HAVE anymore?

:mad: