• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Google Wallet - Setup/Discussion

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I currently have zero interest in using google wallet. From the tiny amount of reading I've done on it, it sounds like if I want to use it - I need to pull my phone out of my purse and hold it against something (not sure exactly what)? How is that any easier than pulling my check card out of my purse & swiping it to make a purchase?

Can someone educate me - what's so great about it?

Upvote 0
I just did an update on my device, but it still says Google wallet is not available for my device or network.....what gives?

I get this also, and nothing I have tried makes any difference. I am not really concerned about it myself because until this is implemented by all credit card companies it is a very limiting option, and quite possibly nothing more than a marketing ploy by Citi Bank and Google.

My personal opinions aside, we do however need to find out what the problem is for those who do wish to take advantage of it. I don't want to have to restore my phone to stock to deal with this issue so hopefully somebody else will come forth with this issue who can find out what Sprint or Google has to say.

On Edit: If this is what the OTA fixes then for the non-rooters the problem is already solved. Us rooters will have to wait for a dev to come along and fix it for us.

Upvote 0
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I currently have zero interest in using google wallet. From the tiny amount of reading I've done on it, it sounds like if I want to use it - I need to pull my phone out of my purse and hold it against something (not sure exactly what)? How is that any easier than pulling my check card out of my purse & swiping it to make a purchase?

Can someone educate me - what's so great about it?
NFC payment isn't revolutionary, but it's definitely added convenience.

For one thing, I don't know about you, but my cellphone is frequently right in my hand whereas my wallet is not. Particularly if I've been waiting in line at a store, my phone is almost guaranteed to be out as I read the news, play a game, read a book, etc. to pass the time. It's just another step to put the phone back into my pocket, pull out my wallet, pull out the particular credit card I want to use.

Second, with respect to taxi cabs (which are a way of life here in NYC), one almost inevitably has their phone out, and having to do the phone/wallet juggle at the end of your ride is a surefire way of leaving one of the two behind (as many, many, many New Yorkers can attest to).

Finally, there are times when (like on a run) you may have your phone with you for music, GPS tracking, etc., and it would be nice to leave your wallet and money at home, knowing you could buy some essentials at the store if you needed water, food, etc.

When (if?) mass transit systems adopt NFC payments, it will be another bit of convenience, because there are constant jam ups at the subway turnstiles as people fish around for their MetroCards -- don't understate the amount of time it takes to pull a card out of your purse, especially when a line is building up behind you and the train that everyone wants to get on just pulled up to the platform. :)

It's a step in the right direction.

Upvote 0
CHA CHING FIRST GOOGLE WALLET PURCHASE HAS BEEN MADE BOYS IT WORKED LIKE A CHARM ONCE I HELD IT THERE LONG ENOUGH!!!!! lol stupid me I thought you just swiped it and pulled away once it prompted but its okay it worked like a CHARM haha I LOVE IT <3 <3 <3 crapple sheep U CAN'T DO THAT HAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

Haha makes you feel like a million bucks right!

Upvote 0
Hey thanks for the info., I appreciate the lesson! :thumbup:

I would like to add to what he said:

Not only is what he claims true, this has already been proven. In Japan, NFC payment methods (specially those built into phones) have been around for many years. They are so common and indispensable to people over there that even small convenience stores (ala seven eleven) have them. Not only that, the Japanese have the largest vending machines per person ratio in the world. There are vending machines for everything from coffee to women's underwear (and women's used underwear, as you will be disturbed to find out). Lol, point being, a lot of those vending machines have NFC built in. According to what I ve researched, the most used NFC implementation is transportation systems like the bullet train

Reactions: PattiCakeUS
Upvote 0
So I opened my GW last night and it had a different look to it. It also had and image of my by bank debit/credit card. It gave me the option to use it as my "selected" card. Now, will I be able to use my phone/NFC to make purchases anywhere there is a Paypass?

Nice! Just added my debit card. Makes me a little nervous, actually.

So, if I go get a coffee at the convenience store and use my newly assigned card, it will complete the transaction using a virtual google card (not the one that's already on there), then debit my debit card. That right?

How do I get the money off the prepaid card that's been there since I got this phone at release?

Upvote 0
Nice! Just added my debit card. Makes me a little nervous, actually.

So, if I go get a coffee at the convenience store and use my newly assigned card, it will complete the transaction using a virtual google card (not the one that's already on there), then debit my debit card. That right?

How do I get the money off the prepaid card that's been there since I got this phone at release?
You can choose which card is your default. I'm leaving my Google card as default until I've used up the balance, then switching to my debit card. Pretty sweet!

Upvote 0
So you can use your debit card now to fund it with each purchase for the exact amount automatically? In other words, previously you had to pre-pay with your card and if I'm reading this properly you can use any credit/debit card now and not have to worry about pre-paying or am I reading that wrong? If that's the case I'll actually starting using it now.

Upvote 0
So you can use your debit card now to fund it with each purchase for the exact amount automatically? In other words, previously you had to pre-pay with your card and if I'm reading this properly you can use any credit/debit card now and not have to worry about pre-paying or am I reading that wrong? If that's the case I'll actually starting using it now.

That's the way I am understanding it. Only problem is, there is only about 7 places near me that take paypass..... and they are all McDonald's ! Many places show up as accepting paypass, but when I click on the "I" in the paypass information thingy, it says paypass not accepted. Bummer.

Upvote 0
I'm still stuck on "...not available on your device or network..."

I don't use wallet but I've read some recent reviews of it in the Play store. I read 2 different things recently that people said they did to get it to work:

An EVO 4G LTE user said: "Was getting unsupported error when trying to add new visa card (after August 1st update) so uninstalled updates through the Play Store and then Updated app and it brought me through whole Wallet setup. After setting up again it works fine!"

A 2nd reviewer said: "For the record you have to wipe Google wallet in its settings before factory resets otherwise the secure element stops. I've done it multiple times between multiple roms and works every time". **I know you didn't say anything about doing a factory reset, but if I remember right there were at least 2 reviews that talked about clearing the wallet settings to get it to work.

Hopefully you haven't tried both of these & one of them works for you. If not... that's all I remember reading recently that worked for people.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones