• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Google Wallet - Setup/Discussion

Well I did just go to footlocker and surprisingly enough they had a sign posted they are now accepting google wallet and they also had it advertised on their pay wave receiver! It flashed between the footlocker logo/ and the google wallet logo so that's a positive hopefully that's just the start and more big chain companies get on the boat :) :) :) :)

Upvote 0
The cashier at Wawa didn't even know they had terminals that could accept Google Wallet. He was quite impressed/surprised when I paid with my EVO LTE haha.

I had the same experience at Wawa when I first attempted to use it. I asked them about it and when they were clueless I just said screw it. I then went to Facebook and complained that the cashiers didn't know what they had right in front of them. They told me they don't accept this technology yet. Which is weird bc I have been using my Gwallet at Wawa for months now lol

Upvote 0
Does anyone know if the google wallet fee for adding a card $1.00 fee is that a temporary fee or no? Just wondering because every card iv added I have got charged $1.00

It's not a fee. Whenever your credit or debit card is authorized by anyone $1 is charged which will drop off in about 5 days +/-1 day usually.

Upvote 0
NFC payment isn't revolutionary, but it's definitely added convenience.

For one thing, I don't know about you, but my cellphone is frequently right in my hand whereas my wallet is not. Particularly if I've been waiting in line at a store, my phone is almost guaranteed to be out as I read the news, play a game, read a book, etc. to pass the time. It's just another step to put the phone back into my pocket, pull out my wallet, pull out the particular credit card I want to use.

Second, with respect to taxi cabs (which are a way of life here in NYC), one almost inevitably has their phone out, and having to do the phone/wallet juggle at the end of your ride is a surefire way of leaving one of the two behind (as many, many, many New Yorkers can attest to).

Finally, there are times when (like on a run) you may have your phone with you for music, GPS tracking, etc., and it would be nice to leave your wallet and money at home, knowing you could buy some essentials at the store if you needed water, food, etc.

When (if?) mass transit systems adopt NFC payments, it will be another bit of convenience, because there are constant jam ups at the subway turnstiles as people fish around for their MetroCards -- don't understate the amount of time it takes to pull a card out of your purse, especially when a line is building up behind you and the train that everyone wants to get on just pulled up to the platform. :)

It's a step in the right direction.

As New Yorker, I couldn't agree more!

Upvote 0
I purchased my EVO on July 20 and I'm still playing with various setting aps, but overall im VERY happy with my purchase.

I was skeptical about using Google wallet as I do not want any financial apps on my mobile device. However, I'm constantly in stores with my phone in my hand, then I have to fumble around to put it in my bag or pocket, just to take out my wallet, then credit card, swipe and pay for purchases.

So I thought I would try it. On August 1, I activated the app, then was sent to the playstore to update the app, as Google play now supports more credit cards.

My first purchase was at Duane Reade (owned by Walgreens) and it took seconds compared to minutes. In NY speak, cutting down those minutes is life saving if you're waiting in lines.

No problems, no issues, no fees. I set my pin to time out after 5 minutes, so I know that nobody can use it in the event I lost my device.

It's simple and now I'm wondering why I didn't use this before and hopping for more sites to "swipe and go"!

Reactions: PattiCakeUS
Upvote 0
My g wallet saved my butt the other day! I forgot my wallet at home :banghead: and had to pay a bill over the phone. I didn't know my visa card number off the top of my head and then.. *lightbulb* I went on my google wallet while on the phone and got my card number. Super cool! :cool: I know I could have just had the information saved somewhere else and g.wallet wasn't really necessary but It certainly was neat... And I was even able to buy lunch with it later on that day. I might just forget my wallet more often :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones