• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Wallet - Unsupported Device?!?!

dhworph

Android Enthusiast
Dec 21, 2011
So Google Wallet has been working fine for me for a while... but maybe with the most recent update (through Market auto-updates)... I get a yellow bar in the upper part of the screen when in the wallet app that says device unsupported. When I click it for more info... it goes to a Google support page that says something about "root users disabling important security levels, and they are unable to support devices... yadda yadda...".

DL article: Google Wallet Now Showing as “Unsupported” on Rooted Devices – Droid Life

I am pretty sure I used the device after the most recent update... but will have to test it later...

Please come back and let us know if the wallet still functions. I am thinking this is a legal pop up to let you know if somethings happens they dont support your device because it is rooted. It'd be a shame if they disabled all functionality for root users. I havent used wallet since they disabled prepaid cards :( was hoping for a return of them soon.

Upvote 0
"once again another huge update to calm our minds

Google Wallet Support wallet-support@google.com

4:44 PM (11 minutes ago)

to me
Hi Michael,

Thanks for getting back to me. Your device is yours to do whatever you
want to with. The warning is for security purposes.

Regards,

Ruth
The Google Wallet Team"

quote above... u r good to go

Upvote 0
"once again another huge update to calm our minds

Google Wallet Support wallet-support@google.com

4:44 PM (11 minutes ago)

to me
Hi Michael,

Thanks for getting back to me. Your device is yours to do whatever you
want to with. The warning is for security purposes.

Regards,

Ruth
The Google Wallet Team"

quote above... u r good to go

Is that not an awesome reply from anything phone related these days? Good luck getting a carrier or manufacturer to agree with that statement. From them its "Do whatever you want with it (within the realm of what we have allowed you to do, of course)."

Reactions: jamor
Upvote 0
So still... what is the security risk? Other than the wallet passcode reset issue...

On a rooted device, are there other risks for wallet use?

Basically, if your device gets stolen, its easier for them to break the "passcode" and gain access to your GW...

So to compare to a CC

CC:
1. steal card
2. use card
3. profit

GW on rooted device
1. steal phone
2. realize it has GW and understand what it is...
3. find out how to brute force the passcode file
4. brute force the code
5. profit at 7-eleven, home depot, and 3 other places

Upvote 0
Mines has that border at the top and when I go to my prepaid card which had $25 on it, it now says "prepaid is unavailable". Does this mean I need to get a refund or just wait for a fix. Luckily it's not much money, but I use it for lunch occassoinally and this sucks.

They are two separate issues. Prepaid is broken for those of us who had previously activated it, and then reset our phones. That can also happen to non-rooted phones if they did a standard factory reset. Supposedly, there is an update coming in another week or two to fix that. It's unrelated to root, except in the sense that we, as rooted users, reset our phones a lot more (when flashing ROMs, etc).

Upvote 0
When I tried to use Google Wallet at CVS the phone would just go to the blue screen which says "sending" but wouldn't change to "sent". Not sure what's going on with it.

Anyone else having the same problem as of today while rooted?

So last night I went to 7-11 and paid with GW and even though my payment worked, the app said "Tap detected. Please check with cashier to confirm payment." Usually when a payment is accepted it will take you from the Sent animation to a screen showing a receipt of the payment. Glad my Wallet is working but thought I would share nonetheless.

Upvote 0
So last night I went to 7-11 and paid with GW and even though my payment worked, the app said "Tap detected. Please check with cashier to confirm payment." Usually when a payment is accepted it will take you from the Sent animation to a screen showing a receipt of the payment. Glad my Wallet is working but thought I would share nonetheless.

I've that that same exact message before the whole shutting down of the prepaid card went through several weeks ago. Now it just says sending but the payment never goes through. I'll try it again and see if it happens again.

Upvote 0
I've that that same exact message before the whole shutting down of the prepaid card went through several weeks ago. Now it just says sending but the payment never goes through. I'll try it again and see if it happens again.

Wipe data within settings then reopen the app and log back in. Should work after this. Additionally, before a data wipe for a ROM flash in recovery, wipe app data, then flash boot into recovery and do your thing or else you can have problems. I speak from 1st hand experience.

Reactions: shaddyyy
Upvote 0
Wipe data within settings then reopen the app and log back in. Should work after this. Additionally, before a data wipe for a ROM flash in recovery, wipe app data, then flash boot into recovery and do your thing or else you can have problems. I speak from 1st hand experience.

I just decided to try it again today before doing the data wipe and it worked perfectly and instantaneously.

Reactions: jmar
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones