• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Wallet Update Help!

xGodlyModzz

Jun 15, 2012
Hey guys. I was wondering is it safe to update the new google wallet app if I'm using a rooted galaxy s3? Will it ruin google wallet or anything and is there a way to update it without unrooting? Thanks! *The update where it supports all credit cards. Its a brand new update!*

So i've looked deeply into this...and many people misunderstand what the app is telling you, Yes it can tell if your device is rooted, BUT, by saying Unsupported, they are basically just warning you that they wont support if your information gets stolen etc, the app STILL works on rooted devices, but Honestly, being rooted, I wouldnt store my credit card info on there, I use it for gift cards thats about it..

Upvote 0
Hey guys. I was wondering is it safe to update the new google wallet app if I'm using a rooted galaxy s3? Will it ruin google wallet or anything and is there a way to update it without unrooting? Thanks! *The update where it supports all credit cards. Its a brand new update!*

Here is my experience....

Equipment: GSM Galaxy Nexus, on SFR (France)

Early July: I successfully rooted my phone and installed the apk of Google Wallet (at that time) by placing in the system/app folder. Launched it and everything worked fine. Being in Europe, I never had a chance to test it out, but I believe it would have worked fine, as there was no bugginess or strange messages. My $10 prepaid card also showed up and I got the welcome email.

Mid July: I was running stock ICS, and received (and successfully installed) stock JB.

Early Aug: I see that Google Wallet is now updated (I think the new version is 1.5), so here is what I did:

1) Launched Google Wallet
Hit menu button> Settings> Reset Google Wallet
Everything worked, i.e. reset took effect, and I got another "Welcome" email

2) Went to "All Apps" section (past the "Installed" section) of My Apps in the Play store, hit Update (I was connected via my VPN so it thought I was in the US, just in case Europeans were not allowed). Update took fine, i.e. no strange messages during install.

3) When I launch Google Wallet, I get the immediate screen saying: "Unfortunately, Google Wallet has not yet been certified in your country or on your device/carrier". All I can do is hit OK and then it takes me back to the app drawer. I cannot get past that screen.

4) Thinking I should perhaps try to remove the apk and try again, I navigated using file browser to the system/app folder and found the original APK that I put there (from early July). When I tried to delete, it says that I have read only access to that folder. Hmmmmm.....?

I believe now that I lost root access after the JB update. Does that make sense? If yes, can someone give me a dead simple guide to re-rooting for stock JB?

Once I am rooted, what should I do about Google Wallet? Delete the APK from the system/app folder first? Sideload the new APK by putting it in the same location? Since my update seemed to go fine, I am afraid I will get the same "Unfortunately, ...." message.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones