• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Wave

If you look at the first someone linked to what it is ..

But in short it is like an instant messenger, where if you were logged, you can message each other live, meaning you can see what the other person is typing even with all the spelling mistakes :p. You can share documents with each other as well ..

Thanks, that sounds kinda scary, lol...

Upvote 0
i have wave, but am looking for some invites into wave's so i can get a better feel for it, if anyone has some waves please send me a PM so i can get you my wave address. Thanks!

There are a ton of public forums.

when you search, just make sure it starts with;
with:public

example:
with:public android
will bring up all of the waves about android that are open to the public.

FYI- if you want to open a public wave, just make sure you add the user public@a.gwave.com to the wave.

That user makes sure the wave is open to the public.

Google needs to work on the usability of Google Wave. It is a little too complicated for newbies and non, computer savy users. Especially if they think that wave is going to go up against facebook someday.

Upvote 0
I played with it a little (wave, that is) and it is pretty dumb. It was dog slow too. I did a search and found some public waves that I tried to participate in but messy layout and slow...

I think it is google's attempt to do what these forum boards do so nicely already. Of course, there is the adding of pics, vids, etc, that isn't as easy on these boards, but conversation layout is just so much nicer here.

I really haven't seen a good example of a wave that validates its usefulness.

My sister and I aren't gonna 'wave', we will just email back and forth. The last thing I want is a live, never-ending conversation.

Please show me otherwise. I just don't get it.

Upvote 0
Actually the one use I've found for it works pretty well. I get real tired of my in-laws especially complaining all the time about how long it takes me after holidays, birthdays etc to get them copies of pictures I've taken.

They use crappy little point an shoot cameras so its no big deal for them to just download and mass email them to everyone. I have a nice Nikon DSLR and I shoot in raw. I like to crop, and tweak each photo individually which takes time.. Especially if you've taken 300-400 photos on that particular occasion.

I sent most of my wife's family wave invites and now I just come home load them all up, export them to jpeg and let them do what they want with them. My wife seems to enjoy it as her and her family all have a wave going now thats basically just pic's and videos of their kids/family etc...

Otherwise, I tend to agree that there isn't a lot of other pratical uses outside say businesses with offices all over that are looking for a cheap way to collaborate on ideas..

P.S. My wife's family did start two other waves that seemed pretty useful and by that I mean I was asked to set them up lol.. One was for my sister-in-law's wedding, and setting up who was attending etc. The other was for the family reunion they are planning in the summer.

Upvote 0
i haven't made up my mind on wave yet. it seems kinda silly/useless at first glance, but may prove otherwise. currently the biggest hindrance is getting other people on it to wave with. you have to wait to get invites, then you give out invites, then wait for them to be processed, etc. i happen to be on a long-term team in grad school where we have to work on group projects a lot. i figure it's a good chance to test it (but first i have to get them all on it). if it bombs in such an ideal collaborative endeavor, i can't see it being useful for me at all in any other application.

pro-tip: to receive email notifications of when a wave is changed, add this bot to the wave --> wave-email-notifications@appspot.com

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones