• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

goole maps/gps

A number of companies, such as Google, collect the MAC addresses of any WIFI access points whilst surveying an area. This is all stored in databases and used for stuff like Google Maps. They also have the geographical locations for things like cell towers. All that sort of data is used for the "coarse" location services that don't rely on GPS

Well, Google used to, until they got found out for "accidentally" collecting users data from unsecured WIFI networks when doing Streetview surveys.

Upvote 0
A number of companies, such as Google, collect the MAC addresses of any WIFI access points whilst surveying an area. This is all stored in databases and used for stuff like Google Maps. They also have the geographical locations for things like cell towers. All that sort of data is used for the "coarse" location services that don't rely on GPS

Well, Google used to, until they got found out for "accidentally" collecting users data from unsecured WIFI networks when doing Streetview surveys.

as i said when i moved house i changed isp's but i kept the same phone number, will this have something to do with it??

Upvote 0
as i said when i moved house i changed isp's but i kept the same phone number, will this have something to do with it??
As far as I know, no. I assume you kept your WIFI router? If so it's probably that devices unique MAC address that's being looked up. The MAC address is unique to every single network device ever made (unless you fudge it), so WIFI routers, network adapters all have their own. I would imagine that your phone, in conjunction with Googles location services are looking up the MAC address in a database and seeing the old location.

You could try going into Settings, Location and turning OFF "Use wireless networks" and turn on GPS. See if you magically teleport to the correct location.:)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones