1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

GooMemo now syncs with Google Docs - of particular interest to ex-Palm users

Last Updated:

1. wrigglesworth

wrigglesworth Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I've just downloaded the latest update for GooMemo. Great news - it now will sync with Google Documents!
    GooMemo - Android Notes application
    The developer had originally planned that this would be part of a paid-for premium version, but very kindly he has released it for free.

For those of us Palm refugees who miss having memos synced between handheld and desktop I think this is the only application that does it properly. I haven't played with it very much yet, but it seems to work very well. In Google Documents all your memos are put into a spreadsheet with a different sheet for each category and each memo on its own row. This is maybe not the prettiest of options, but it makes it all very transparent, and easy to export your notes in CSV form if you want to move them elsewhere.

The only slight irritation I've had is that it won't remember my Gmail password and I have to rekey it each time I want to sync.

In my opinion this makes GooMemo the best memo application available, especially for those of us used to doing things the Palm OS way. The only issue is how much of your private stuff you want to be under Google's control ...

Advertisement
  2. dla_001

dla_001 New Member

I can't get a new spreadsheet to import to the handheld...the tab (sheet name) comes over, but it's empty...any ideas, anyone?

3. jpaulmorr

jpaulmorr Member

I have the same problems as dla_001, I think. I had actually got my data transferred from the Palm to Google notes (Goomemo), and from there to the handheld, and everything looked good. Today I accidentally uninstalled the Goomemo app (<blush>), so I reinstalled it later today, and it seems to be syncing, but I never see any data on the handheld. I do see lines saying "Copy of Main", but no data. Help would be appreciated!

4. jpaulmorr

jpaulmorr Member

Tomi Mikkelsson was able to help me - he suggested clearing the modified column of each row. This is because a blank modified col gets synced by goomemo.

In case you want to try this, he recommended taking a backup first in case the data gets messed up.

We also ran into a problem with the syncing: you may lose the characters in a record following an '&' - he reports this is only a problem when downloading, not uploading. I changed all my &'s to +'s and everything worked fine!