Goooooooooogle

Last Updated:

1. JimmyHat

JimmyHat Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

If the Nexus One wants to succeed, then they should adopt the Motorola advertising scheme. Instead of hearing Droooooooid, do commercials that say Gooooooooooooge. :eek:

Advertisement
  2. gibson6594

gibson6594 Well-Known Member

:rofl: at you telling Google about advertising.

3. droidosis

droidosis Well-Known Member

You have to admit that the Droid did steal Nexus's thunder. Aside from a couple better specs the Droid pretty much does everything the Nexus does. Part of Googles thinking that specs and the latest OS would make people jump all over it was flawed, especially without mass advertising and a poor release time.

The Droid is probably the only phone I've ever purchased with high expectations and have not been let down, even two months later.

The public machine as a whole will be the ultimate judge of what is and isn't successful. Sometimes it doesn't matter if one device is "better" at doing the same thing. Just like the beta VHS debacle.

For all we know this may have been a planned failure from Google to pump Droid - just kidding! (Droid does.) ------ What were the Motorola people doing at the release party anyway? Hmm.

What it does show is that network is still very important to success. I don't want to start an interdevice hardware war since Droid and Nexus are cousins, but I'm calling it like I see it. Nexus isn't getting the same Droid love.

-droidosis-

4. rubi76

rubi76 Well-Known Member

Everything you say is true, but you also have to remember that:

-Verizon paid for the Droid advertising. So far, Google didn't spend much on advertising for the N1. So what the public thinks is very relevant to what they are fed.

-The Droid is good, but being a cdma on Verizon it would have never been a good worldwide phone from the get go. The N1 is GSM ready so it could be marketed and sold all over the world from the Google website.
    No special deal with carriers, no sending prototypes to their stores, etc. etc.

-I don't think Google necessarily wants to sell more units of the N1 than the Droid (or other phones). What they are testing here is also if customers like us would spend over $500 bucks for an item they never saw and touched, with limited advertising. By buying the N1 the customer shows trust in the Google name, not necessarily in something that was tested. So far, without much advertising, they got a lot of good reviews and fairly good sales.
    And, as you said, once it will be on the Verizon network US sales will increase,

-Dont forget about the rest of the world. Once the N1 will be available worldwide (only a few countries now) sales will go much higher because other countries are used to spend for non subsidized phones, they don't mind since they don't have higher monthly costs and they are used that way.

All this, with little or no paid advertising and no physical stores. I think it's impressive.

5. afine1

afine1 Well-Known Member

Strange, i was thinking about this today. if google wants the nexus to be a huge success and take over they need to do some serious marketing for it. i keep showing people my phone and they have now idea what it is, and they say they never heard of it. everyone has heard of the iphone. (ok, mostly everyone....but i will say anyone who is into state of the art cell phones has heard of the iphone)

get on board google...if you do our phones will get better. and by better i mean more apps, accessories etc. this is why i thought of this too. it started with going to a store and seeing all the iphone accessories and wondering where the h-ll the nexus one are. companies are making a living off of making iphone and ipod accessories because of the demand. people are heavily influenced by the media, and the iphone is all over. this brings up the demand. thats why companies are developing items that adapt for the iphone/ipod connections.

if google does not get on the ball then why would anyone make accessories? i want a dock! both car and home.

6. Inhuman

Inhuman Member

imo its because of tv advertising.
    droid had/has a bunch of commercials and it did well
    Nexus one all internet advertising. Couldn't hurt to have 1 commercial on tv at least.

7. daffyduck

daffyduck Well-Known Member

Agree, sorry Google, but you have to realise that not everything can be done via the Web in business.

Google has one of the strongest, recognised brands in the world & should be actively marketing the Nexus and Android in general. That is why the iPhone has been so successful in that Apple have done clever marketing to show the good bits & cover the weaknesses of the format but still make people drool for it.

8. Inhuman

Inhuman Member

yup not everyone is glued to their computers like most of us are :)
    some people rarely use computers or go on the net, and they may be watch tv a lot.