• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

GoPhone plans?

B2L

Android Expert
Jan 17, 2011
Salt Lake City, UT
So I've been with T-Mobile for quite a while, and recently switched to Simple mobile around 6 months ago. Bought a Galaxy Nexus a few weeks ago, and have decided I would prefer to have the Galaxy Note. I buy all of my phones unsubsidized, and can't stand contracts. So my question is, can I just buy a Sim from AT&T and use the GoPhone plans with the Note? Or am I going to have to shell out more money for a more expensive plan with AT&T and possibly have to sign a contract? I've looked around pretty much everywhere, and haven't found any information on it, or other prepaid options that AT&T has available.

I'm currently paying $60 for unlimited everything on my current carrier, and hope to find a similar plan around the same price. If it ends up being more expensive, I may just stick with my current carrier, and keep the Galaxy Nexus. Although, I may even be willing to deal with Edge speeds on my current carrier if AT&T wants to try and screw me over.

So I've been with T-Mobile for quite a while, and recently switched to Simple mobile around 6 months ago. Bought a Galaxy Nexus a few weeks ago, and have decided I would prefer to have the Galaxy Note. I buy all of my phones unsubsidized, and can't stand contracts. So my question is, can I just buy a Sim from AT&T and use the GoPhone plans with the Note? Or am I going to have to shell out more money for a more expensive plan with AT&T and possibly have to sign a contract? I've looked around pretty much everywhere, and haven't found any information on it, or other prepaid options that AT&T has available.

I'm currently paying $60 for unlimited everything on my current carrier, and hope to find a similar plan around the same price. If it ends up being more expensive, I may just stick with my current carrier, and keep the Galaxy Nexus. Although, I may even be willing to deal with Edge speeds on my current carrier if AT&T wants to try and screw me over.
it's at&t, they'll try to screw you over

Reactions: B2L
Upvote 0
If you have a go-phone SIM it should work as long as it is a At&t compatible device. But it will cost you a bundle without a contract.

I don't really understand the "not being tied down" thing, breaking a contract would generally be cheaper than paying $600+ for a device.

I pay less with prepaid plans, and buying unsubsidized phones. Typically on contract plans will cost $20-$30 more than the prepaid plans. I usually end up saving a couple hundred bucks per year, and I can still upgrade every year. Plus then I'm not waiting around for a US carrier to preload more crap on to things, or having to wait until they release it. I can get any phone I want since there typically always is an international GSM version. I'll have to look into it, you can buy a cheap gophone for $5.

Upvote 0
I pay less with prepaid plans, and buying unsubsidized phones.
Up until this month, I was paying $78/month (w/corporate discount) for 1 Smartphone with 200MB plan and one basic phone with Family Plan 450. We have a billion roll over minutes and never use them and I normally only use 50MB of data on my plan.

I can't get anything near that with 2 pre-paid plans as I am not aware of any pre-paid family plans.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I was curious too about the ability to use the Note as a Go Phone. In california, an unlimited plan on the go phone is $50 out the door. that includes texting, calls, and data. A comparable plan under contract is going to run you about $130. So the savings is like $1500. What I don't know are the details on the go phone data plan

Upvote 0
If you have a go-phone SIM it should work as long as it is a At&t compatible device. But it will cost you a bundle without a contract.

I don't really understand the "not being tied down" thing, breaking a contract would generally be cheaper than paying $600+ for a device.

the cost of the phone is 299 under contract. it is 325 less 10 for each month you own the device. also, the plans under contract are more expensive

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones