Gorilla Glass in Galaxy S'

Last Updated:

1. mckooter

mckooter Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Advertisement
  2. Muirne

Muirne Active Member

Someone linked a youtube vid a month or so ago of a guy trying like all hell to scratch up the face/screen of a Galaxy S. While it wasn't in english it was still pretty amusing to watch since the guy went to pretty far lengths to scratch and bash the glass.

3. getDange

getDange Well-Known Member

WOW I actually FIRMLY believed it was some cheap plastic. As I mentioned before, within one week I noticed a scratch on my screen, and I was handling it like a precious jewel.
    Now another month later, no more scratches developed.
    Was Samsung putting same GG on ALL models including Captivate?

4. Fate0n3

Fate0n3 Well-Known Member

Just read this on SlashGear.com ... Very interesting to know now. You would think Samsung would say it had this glass in it to help advertising. Either way pretty cool

5. getDange

He went far? He used a cheap $3 box cutter, and it worked like a charm with not much physical effort.

6. Terrigno

Terrigno Well-Known Member

Clean it harder. I find this hard to believe.

7. emuneee

emuneee Well-Known Member

Not very hard, I have two light scratches on my Captivate that I can feel with my nail. Not really bothering me as you can only see them at certain angles.

8. blazeplacid

blazeplacid Well-Known Member

I have some scratches on my phones screen also

and as said above I handle my phone pretty well

make sure to not put it in a pocket with keys or change...still some small scratches

9. BigCiX

BigCiX Well-Known Member

All my scratches came from being in my pocket.

10. Muirne

Muirne Active Member

My bad, I forgot about the box cutter. Well it was more like I dismissed it because I personally was unlikely to find myself in a situation where I'm taking a razor blade to the screen of my phone or anything similar.

11. getDange

It is real. I tried everything, it is definitely a scratch.
    The phone was opened by two AT&T guys (their first Captivate sell, so it was the store manager and a sales person) in front of me. Maybe they managed to scratch it by accident, but I was looking hard, and they were very careful.
    I suspect you can easily get the screen accidentally scratched if you wear a ring with some hard stone like a diamond. Or if you wear DIAMOND EARRINGS. Sh*t now that I think about it, that half-inch vertical scratch on my screen is in the middle of the top half of the screen: could have been developed by earringed person ending the call and removing the phone from the ear, hitting the earring on the way.

DO NOT LOAN YOUR CAPTIVATE TO WOMEN WITH EARRINGS!

12. getDange

Wow so many reports of scratches on Captivates. Could this really be that GG is being used in NEW SGS phones only, and all those first batches had some substitute glass, that is why Samsung never announced GG originally?

13. Muirne

Muirne Active Member

LOL This is precisely why I handled my phone with care until I got a skin for the screen of my phone. I'm one of those diamond earring wearing offenders which eventually created a very definate line across the screen of my much older blackberry which was something like a plastic/acrylic screen.

14. RavenFox

RavenFox VIP Member VIP Member

Good to know Samsung went this route but to play it safe I have the official screen protectors from Samsung. Doesn't even feel like there's anything on there after putting one on.

mckooter likes this.
  15. mckooter

mckooter Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

i might go ahead and try these, i really hate the invisible shield, it is protective but i just cant stand the orange peel / rubbery feel.

i put this phone next to the phone my buddy has without a protector and i just want his not mine, so its gone

16. Mancha67

Mancha67 Member

According to Samsung's level 2 support, the Captivate variant is made with a, "hardened material, but not Gorilla Glass". Support was not aware of any current Galaxy S variants being made with Gorilla glass, and would not comment on whether the announcement meant that future production would incorporate the Gorilla glass.

17. t-readyroc

t-readyroc Well-Known Member

Gorilla Glass or not, I definitely had a scratch before putting my screen protector (Invisible Shield) on. I rly wish I didn't have to use it, but I also rly don't think there's any way to avoid using one and avoid scratches on the screen at the same time.

18. alphadog00

alphadog00 Well-Known Member

19. alphadog00

alphadog00 Well-Known Member

I don't think level 2 or level 3 support has any access to that type of data. The official specs don't list it either way, and the support people are technical support - they are no more likely able to tell what kind of plastic or extrusion method was used to make the housing.

20. Loremonger

Loremonger Well-Known Member

I agree. The Zagg skins are a turn off. I'm using a Phantomskinz screen cover (mainly because they were the only full body kit I could find), and I like it quite a bit, though it's still just not the same as the bare glass.

21. RavenFox

RavenFox VIP Member VIP Member

22. YaBoiD

YaBoiD Well-Known Member

23. Rhiannon224

Rhiannon224 Well-Known Member

I love Skinomi screen protectors, after 24 hrs, no tackiness to the screen, lifetime guarantee, they replace them for free, even if you have to replace the phone entirely they shipped me a new set of skins for $2.95 s&h. They are scratch proof. I have my entire phone with the clear Skinomi protectors and it looks and feels awsome, the screen is totally clear, not a finger print magnet anymore and not a single scratch on it. I wouldn't let them take the screenguard that somes on the phone out of the factory off the phone at AT&T, my first phone had a hairline crack in the screen and I never dropped it and I am very careful with my things. AT&T replaced the phone for the crack and shutdowns, new one has not one shutdown it a week of solid use.

24. baddress

baddress Well-Known Member

Hey since these threads keep popping up, let me say it again - it is NOT Gorilla Glass. It is high stength tempered glass!

25. PersonOfKnownOrigin

PersonOfKnownOrigin Active Member

Same. Two scratches before I was able to get a screen protector on it. Don't even know how it happened.