• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gorilla Glass

Don't take that list on the Corning ( gorilla glass ) website as being completely correct. For example, the Samsung Droid Charge has GG & nowhere is it listed on the site. So I would take that list w/ a grain of salt. Surely, Samsung wouldn't cut corners on this phone.

Hmm, I don't know man! I hear what your saying...But the Razr is front and center on there, and they both got announced at the same time....don't ya think Samsung or even Google would want it up there right now as well?

Upvote 0
Hmm, I don't know man! I hear what your saying...But the Razr is front and center on there, and they both got announced at the same time....don't ya think Samsung or even Google would want it up there right now as well?

If I recall correctly, Samsung didn't tout Gorilla glass on both SGS1 and SGS2 when they launched though it turned out to be having it later. Apparently samsung doesn't seem to think Gorilla glass is something to pitch on advertising.

Reactions: treb1797
Upvote 0
Google / Samsung would have said something yesterday if it was on board. Plus...If history serves me right, it wasn't on the Nexus S either...

Just like the skimp on not placing the SG2 camera on board, looks like this was another penny pinching move by Samsung.

I thought i read somewhere that corning didn't make curved screens so maybe that is why and not a "penny pinching" move as you say.

Upvote 0
Simple as this....No Gorilla Glass, no buy!

No SD I've comes to term with in the last few days, and would just adapt to using the cloud!

But no Gorilla glass on such a high end phone with that big a screen is just a no go for me. I don't use screen protectors, and im not about to start.

That right there would send me right over to the Razr....case closed!

Just to add...
I just checked the Gorilla Glass web site! No dice on listing it on there with the rest of Samsungs devices that offer it!

FYI...Razr listed on there already!

Jeeeeez...Google really penny pinched

you make such a big deal out of gorilla glass. It is glass and can scratch and break like everything else. I am sure google and samsung made the screen with some kind of strong glass. If it that big of a deal for you then you can preorder the razr this week and not have to worry about having a nexus=)

Upvote 0
you make such a big deal out of gorilla glass. It is glass and can scratch and break like everything else. I am sure google and samsung made the screen with some kind of strong glass. If it that big of a deal for you then you can preorder the razr this week and not have to worry about having a nexus=)

I think people think gorilla glass is bullet proof. It can still scratch or break & should't be a deciding factor of whether or not you get a particular device. It's like the most unimportant aspect when deciding on a device. So let's not overthink it here people.

Upvote 0
I think people think gorilla glass is bullet proof. It can still scratch or break & should't be a deciding factor of whether or not you get a particular device. It's like the most unimportant aspect when deciding on a device. So let's not overthink it here people.

I agree to me there are more important things than whether it has gorilla glass or not. That isnt going to stop the phone from getting scratched or break.

Reactions: treb1797
Upvote 0
For those doubting Gorilla Glass really makes a difference maybe you need to google SlashGear + Galaxy S2 drop test and SlashGear + Gorilla Glass Demo. It's definitely a smart choice to get it. Does it scratch? Possible, but it looks to be a lot more durable than just any other glass. Also, for those doubting that the GN has GG because it's a curved glass (even though it was confirmed in this thread ^ look up) then the above mentioned sites also have video and pictures displaying CURVED GG. Jeez I should be a GG spokesperson.

Upvote 0
For those doubting Gorilla Glass really makes a difference maybe you need to google SlashGear + Galaxy S2 drop test and SlashGear + Gorilla Glass Demo. It's definitely a smart choice to get it. Does it scratch? Possible, but it looks to be a lot more durable than just any other glass. Also, for those doubting that the GN has GG because it's a curved glass (even though it was confirmed in this thread ^ look up) then the above mentioned sites also have video and pictures displaying CURVED GG. Jeez I should be a GG spokesperson.

See what you just said, that's 100% my point! In this day and age, why not? Why wouldn't I want it on my phone? Those who feel the need to say it doesn't matter really don't get it....And to those who don't care...God bless ya, enjoy your scratches!

Point blank...No glass is full scratch proof! However, a little extra protection goes a long way...

Upvote 0
I agree to me there are more important things than whether it has gorilla glass or not.
Gorilla Glass is just as important as the other things to many of us.

That isnt going to stop the phone from getting scratched or break.
Maybe not stop it, but significantly reduce the chances of it. My Droid X hasn't a single scratch on it in the past 15 months I've had it. And it is the original model from release day.

My brother took keys to his screen on many occasions to show off the Gorilla Glass; not a single scratch on the screen.

Can Gorilla Glass be scratched? Yes.

Very easily? Hell no! :D

Reactions: RX-78-2
Upvote 0

You have alot to say about everything pal! How about you worry about what phone your going to get, and not me : )
You sound like an isheep that'll take what ever Samsung/Google throw at you! If your so sold, well then cool, good for you! You seem to know the prices already, the specs that nobody seems to know and everything else that goes along with being a know it all! Be cool Red, always better to be cool, then not cool ; )

Upvote 0
Gorilla Glass is just as important as the other things to many of us.

Maybe not stop it, but significantly reduce the chances of it. My Droid X hasn't a single scratch on it in the past 15 months I've had it. And it is the original model from release day.

My brother took keys to his screen on many occasions to show off the Gorilla Glass; not a single scratch on the screen.

Can Gorilla Glass be scratched? Yes.

Very easily? Hell no!

Some people just don't get it man! They don't get that Gorilla Glass was invented for a reason, to reduce the risk of getting scratches...not make the phone bullet proof!

I agree with your post 100%...

Upvote 0
For those doubting Gorilla Glass, and saying it scratches just as easily, please share whatever you're smoking. I have a 1.5yo Captivate with Gorilla Glass, no screen protector, and the screen is like new. I've had Palm Pre's, crapflips, and multitude other phones without GG, and there is undoubtedly a difference.

Don;t even take my word - use the searches mentioned above, and use google, and you'll see that GG is WAY better.

Seriously - how can anyone say a tempered glass like GG is the same as regular? That's just ridiculous...

Upvote 0
I've owned 3 gorilla glass screened phones (evo, evo shift, evo 3d), and wound up with small infinite scratches on all 3 devices. And I was careful. No keys or change in the same pocket, never put the screen face down...

I've owned the nexus s for a little over a month now, and haven't received a single scratch. Gorilla glass is not a factor for me at this point...

Upvote 0
For those doubting Gorilla Glass, and saying it scratches just as easily, please share whatever you're smoking. I have a 1.5yo Captivate with Gorilla Glass, no screen protector, and the screen is like new. I've had Palm Pre's, crapflips, and multitude other phones without GG, and there is undoubtedly a difference.

Don;t even take my word - use the searches mentioned above, and use google, and you'll see that GG is WAY better.

Seriously - how can anyone say a tempered glass like GG is the same as regular? That's just ridiculous...

This is the world we live in unfortunately! Full of people who just don't get it...

Extra protection can't hurt, only help!

Upvote 0
Sean76, I'm not going to side specifically either way, but I have seen you on several threads say "If it doesn't have (insert feature here), I'm not buying it". Can you really blame the people who didn't see you post that you where buying both phones in a post or 2 to come of on you like that?

Specifically ...I said,,,, I will buy em both when they drop! That was before the whole GNex does not have Gorilla Glass nonsense started! Already stated that I would give the cloud a try if the SD card missing was the only real con.

If it does not have Gorilla Glass, I will most likely not buy it...simple as that!

Now to move forward...how bout we just get along and not worry about what Sean gets, or what Red gets...or what he said, she said! I got zero issues with anybody on here, no reason too!

I switch phones so often because I can! If I couldn't, I wouldn't, and If that was the case I'd really make a solid decision on what I was going to be using for about the next 2 years...not the case, so I really don't read to much into it.

Upvote 0
I personally hope it doesn't have Gorilla Glass. I want...

DRAGONTRAIL!

I also want to add, (without stirring the pot) I just seem to remember earlier when someone said (before Gnex release) they haven't announced it will have HDMI out. And the retort was something like "That's because it's pretty much standard by now" or something akin to Phone X had it, Phone Y had it, Why wouldn't the Gnex have it?

Basically until you see it, we'll never know. And similar to Gnex not having HDMI, I think MHL is also the future. So perhaps we don't want Gorilla Glass, and/or won't mind not having it?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones