Gorilla glass?Support

Last Updated:

1. mm43

mm43 Well-Known Member

Just a quick question.... Does the nexus 7 have gorilla glass?

2. steveu694

steveu694 Well-Known Member

No. Its standard corning glass.
  3. John Bean

John Bean Happy Wanderer

Not as quick a question as you may think.

It has "scratch resistant glass" made by Corning (who make Gorilla glass) but there is no actual mention of "Gorilla Glass" in the specification.
  4. rushmore

rushmore Well-Known Member

All Corning electronic glass is scratch resistant as a point of practicality for handling during production and handling.

It is not Gorilla glass, else they would be marketing the feature.
    mm43 likes this.
  5. mm43

mm43 Well-Known Member

Thanks. Searched Google but couldn't find out. Is it not as tough then?
    Do I need s screen protector also?
  6. AlkiDweller

AlkiDweller Well-Known Member

It's not as tough, but it's pretty close. If you're going to carry it around without a case, you might want a screen protector.

I opted for a screen protector that's made out of an 1/8 inch thick hide from the elusive nauga. On and off in a matter of seconds.
    mm43 likes this.
  7. rootbrain

rootbrain Well-Known Member

FYI, even Gorilla glass is not shatterproof. You should find a case you like, just less to worry about.
    mm43 likes this.
  8. rushmore

rushmore Well-Known Member

True dat. Energy has to displace somewhere and glass is usually the weakest link- Gorilla or not. Exception being a really cheap or non sturdy build. The more rigid, the more likely the display is where stuff breaks.
    mm43 likes this.
  9. mm43

mm43 Well-Known Member

Thanks very much for the replies. Will go buy a case. Problem is you can't get to the edge of the screen to edit when you are typing using one
  10. rootbrain

rootbrain Well-Known Member

You've been looking at the wrong type.

Try this:

Amazon.com: MoKo(TM) Slim-fit Cover Case for Google Nexus 7 Android Tablet by Asus, Black (with Automatic Sleep/Wake Function, Protective Hardback, Built-in Multi-angle Stand, Elastic Hand Strap, and Stylus Loop)--Lifetime Warranty: Computers & Acces

This exact case is sold on Amazon under different "brand names". There is no problem at all at the edge of the screen since it only holds by 6 secure points, four of them the corners. I like this one so much I bought another when I got another Nexus 7
  11. AntimonyER

AntimonyER AF Addict VIP Member

Yeah, the one I have been using is the full surround by Moko, it can make pulling the notification bar down difficult. But safer with the kids. I just take it out of the case when I use mine.
  12. eyecon82

eyecon82 Well-Known Member

i wonder if the new one will have gorilla glass..

i doubt it because of the cheaper pricing compared with other tablets..got to save money somewhere
  13. gtbarry

gtbarry Well-Known Member

Well, it is Corning.

7.02" 1920x1200 HD display (323 ppi)
    1080p HD IPS
    Scratch-resistant Corning
  14. eyecon82

15. androidpod

androidpod Well-Known Member Contributor

I've had my original Nexus 7 since they were first released and to date it's scratch free. That's being used without a screen protector. I will be buying a new Nexus 7 when the LTE models are released and I will not be installing a screen protector on that one either. I just can't stand the things :D
  16. eyecon82

Neither can

I'm playing with my 32gb version right now :)