• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Got a 32GB N5? Pray that you don't have to get it repaired by LG!

Fishyweb

Android Enthusiast
Apr 10, 2010
My 32GB N5 developed a fault on it's main board that was causing excessive current drain. Arranged to get it repaired under warranty by LG. When I received it back and was reloading my apps and data, I noticed it seemed a bit short of memory. The battery info settings page indicated that the handset had 16GB. On close inspection, the IMEI label on the back cover actually showed that the handset was indeed a 16GB model!

I was sure that it must have been a genuine mistake by the LG repair centre, so called their CS dept about it. After some faffing and elapsed time, they got back to me to tell me that they had repaired my phone "to UK specifications". What?!?!?

Apparently, according to LG, the 32GB was never officially launched in the UK! And this, despite Google and x number of other vendors offering both 16 and 32GB versions for sale! (I bought mine from expansys.com). But they insisted that they, being the UK repair centre, are unable to replace the mainboard with a 32GB one! FFS. And they are being totally serious! Even though this is surely total cobblers, and probably would not stand up to a trading standards investigation. Even if they are being genuine about this, you'd think they might have notified me at some point that they were unable to repair to original spec, rather than wait for me to discover it for myself!

Oh, and wireless charging did not work on the 16GB handset that they sent back to me!

After complaining bitterly, they offered me £75 compensation, which I turned down as I need 32GB. They eventually came back to me and offered a full refund if I returned the handset, and I've reluctantly accepted that. I've now ordered a new Moto X Style (32GB), but will really miss my N5. I decided not to go for a new 5x as I cannot bring myself to buy another LG device.

Just thought I'd share this as a warning for anyone else with a 32GB N5 needing a repair. I suspect that different arrangements would apply for handsets bought direct from Google, but if you need repair from LG - beware!

Last edited:
Reactions: bcrichster
Hate to sound like a troll, but I think their offer of a full refund is amazing. I know it took a ridiculous amount of time to get to that point and i'm sure a lot of phone calls, shady repair practices, but a full refund is a smoking deal. If Google or LG offered to buy back my phone for a full refund I'd take that offer in a heartbeat! Free phone for a year or two...HECK YES!

Reactions: jj14x
Upvote 0
Hate to sound like a troll, but I think their offer of a full refund is amazing. I know it took a ridiculous amount of time to get to that point and i'm sure a lot of phone calls, shady repair practices, but a full refund is a smoking deal. If Google or LG offered to buy back my phone for a full refund I'd take that offer in a heartbeat! Free phone for a year or two...HECK YES!
You're right, but I'd never send my phone to LG for repair after this. Fortunately, I got mine direct from Google.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones