Got a call from "METRO PCS" today from 888-863-8768?! Am I busted??!!General

Last Updated:

1. TRS-80

TRS-80 Well-Known Member

As stated in the title, I got a call today (missed it actually, I was out of my truck at the time) from "METRO PCS" at 888-863-8768.

I was thinking maybe they were just going to give some recording with a promotional offer, maybe another message from Snoop, something like that... but then no message was left... :confused:

Now I just paid my bill the other day, so I don't think it had anything to do with that either...

So then my wheels started turning upstairs... Do you think they somehow know I am tethering or something and are on to me? :eek: Or am I just being really paranoid? :cool:

Did anyone else receive any calls from Metro recently? If so, did you answer? If so, what was it all about?

Advertisement
  2. Eddy120876

Eddy120876 Well-Known Member

Hey TRS relax bro. I keep getting weird text from a 502 number. which looks like a metropcs number
  3. T3XAN

T3XAN Well-Known Member

Lol chill bro... What are they gonna say?

"Uhh We dont like the fact that you are using the service you bought from us the way it was intended to be used when you payed for it... So uhhh could you stop please? I know you already paid for it but... Please..."

Did you sign a contract saying you couldnt do whatever the hell you wanted to with the phone and service you bought? I think not... Tether away bro! lol
  4. n4zty

n4zty Well-Known Member

their TOS clearly states they can change anything on ur account even change ur monthly bill without telling u, so with that being said they had no reason to call u to hassle u cuz clearly they can change or do any modification to ur account as they please. keep that in mind.
  5. Shabbypenguin

Shabbypenguin Well-Known Member Developer

yea even att sends texts warning tethering customers
  6. Eddy120876

they also call you and even send you letters if you tether. verizon calls you and the third time they get you you don't respond they cut the service until you go into a store :(
  7. T3XAN

T3XAN Well-Known Member

Wow Ive tethered with other phones on metro service for years. Never recieved a call maybe its because of the 4g?
  8. TRS-80

TRS-80 Well-Known Member

Well, I have to fess up. :eek: I was trying to see if I could DL a torrent (this was just the other night). I really wanted to watch a movie, and I was stuck somewhere, bored. lol Something I have spoken out against myself right here in these very forums. Well, FWIW, I wouldn't plan to make a habit out of it, and I kind of just wanted to see if it would work, I hadn't heard of anyone having any success with torrents over tether. So I thought I would give it a try...

Well, I have to report, it didn't work for me. I of course tweaked uTorrent down to reasonable UL/DL limits, based on my connection. I didn't mess with a lot of settings other than that, but I couldn't get it to work on first try. Maybe I will try again some other time...

[details] I had my PC tethered via wifi to my phone, using uTorrent. Got the torrent to start in uTorrent, but then 0kb up or down on that torrent, nor any others for that matter. After leaving it run in the background for like 30 mins while checking email, surfing, IRC, etc. on PC, I gave up and shut down uTorrent.

Well anyway, I wonder if that had anything to do with anything? Maybe not. But I gotta go, there are some black helicopters outside... :cool::cool: lolz
  9. popovpumpkin

popovpumpkin Well-Known Member

nuke everything in the microwave and run lol
  10. n4zty

n4zty Well-Known Member

seems almost all cell phone providers are starting to cap their data usage
    i got this from yahoo home page.
    Source : Budgeting for wireless data on Verizon's new plans - Yahoo! Finance
  11. Shabbypenguin

that man is an idiot, sprint used to cost 69.99 for unl data/txt and 450 mins to landlines, unl cell to cell

now if you have a smart phone you pay 10 dollars more... which now matches up with tmobiles pricing!!! zomg
  12. n4zty

n4zty Well-Known Member

which man? lol
  13. Shatterproof

Shatterproof Well-Known Member

Are you using Go SMS Pro?? I was getting weird text messages from a 502 number and it had a bunch of odd letters,numbers... and everytime I deleted one I received another, it even sent them to a few ppl when I sent them a text lol!! so I deleted Go SMS Pro and I havent received anything weird since :) I was just curious to know if it was Go SMS or if it was just a coincidence that I stopped receiving them after I deleted Go SMS.
  14. Eddy120876

hey Shatter yeah i have Go Sms pro
  15. Shabbypenguin

this man ;)
  16. Shatterproof

I thought so... I think those text messages u have been receiving from that 502 number are caused by that app somehow and not from metro pcs. I was receiving them when I had that app installed and it was getting on my nerves so I deleted it and I haven't had a text from any weird numbers since then. I wasn't sure if it was actually the Go SMS Pro app or not, but then I seen ur post saying you were receiving them too and it can't be a coincidence that we both had that app installed and now that I deleted it, im no longer receiving them anymore.
    Eddy120876 likes this.
  17. n4zty

n4zty Well-Known Member

someone on the howardforums posted something about dish network is probaly getting ready to unleash their own cellphone company or provide spectrum for other cellphone providers they dont have a network that would be compatible with LTE but they could get that from elsewhere, and if they did decide to work as a cellphone provider it would put them in the lead on top of metropcs and i believe ahead of t-mobile.
  18. tiede

tiede Well-Known Member

Those messages are not from GO SMS Pro
    They are from metro, and are meant for brew phones.
    If your previous phone was a brew phone, it intercepted those messages and interpreted them into the apps such as My Extras. Mobile Banking, Metro's email app and so forth.
    If you still have one of those services on when you switch phones, you will "see" those messages as they are no longer intercepted on the phone, since android won't intercept them and will actually display metro's garbage.
    If it gets annoying, you can call them and they will reset them for you, thereby eliminating them, or you can just wait until the system realizes that your phone is android and can't receive those messages (which seems to take a while, I have no idea why... )
  19. the258

the258 Well-Known Member

I actually wanted to know this also. I was curious to know since this is my first tethered phone. Long story short, it worked but slow indeed. Surfed the web and what not and it was going great, I figured its working so I turned of tether and removed utorrent and what not.
  20. Shatterproof

So then its just a coincidence that I havent received one of those text since I deleted the Go SMS Pro, its been about 3days since I deleted it and havent had any issues? If so then im going to reinstall :D thanks for the INFO...
  21. AndroidxGuy

AndroidxGuy Well-Known Member

No need to worry I think. Metro started calling me about 12 hours after I activated my indulge. I finally answered the next day and it was just a survey about my new phone and the quality of service where I bought it.
  22. Eddy120876

Thanks for the heads up Shatter
  23. tiede

tiede Well-Known Member

That was a coincidence. I received those messages BEFORE customizing my phone all the time. Then I called metro and had them stop them altogether. If your previous phone was a "feature phone"such as the samsung caliber, then you can blame that for your pesky502 messages...
  24. Shatterproof

My last phone was the Freeform and I only had that for like 2months lmao!! And b4 that I had the Moto Rkr, would any of those two cause it? Im just going 2 reinstall it and see what happens.
  25. tiede

tiede Well-Known Member

Yeah, the freeform being a brew phone. That's likely the culprit.
    Just make sure next time to disable those pesky apps before switching phones... One would think metro could do it, seeing as they should know that we are not using the cr**py brew platform on the ANDROID indulge!!!