• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Got a call from "METRO PCS" today from 888-863-8768?! Am I busted??!!

Update: I use Google Voice that transcribes voice mail and sends me a transcript via e-mail and/or text, depending on one's settings. I just got a transcript of a partial message from the MetroPCS call. (I think I set up Google Voice to detect SPAM robo calls and to hang up automatically on detecting it is a computer calling.)

Anyway, the partial message was "Like to know what..." Definitely a sales call.

I added that number to my phone's "blacklist" feature, so I won't be those calls any longer. :)

Today, February 28, 2012, I too got a call from 888.863.8768

As I do with any calls from numbers I don't recognize, I declined the call. I then entered the number into Google Search and found out it is MetroPCS.

They have called twice now in two hours.

Firstly, these are not collection calls. You can't go past due on a prepaid account because they simply cut off your phone for non-payment. That's why it is called "prepaid," you are pre paying for the next month.

Post-paid has collections because you have received the service and they are trying to collect payment for it.

I just said the above for those wondering if it is Metro Collections calling. It is not.

Anyway, once I knew it was Metro I knew they were calling for one of two reasons.

Firstly, I canceled my Metro account effective today. (I went to Straight Talk and its new service called "Straight Talk Sim" that allows you to use any GSM-based phone on their service, including any iPhone that's GSM.

Also, I got their new $45 monthly unlimited plan.

So I bought a mint used Samsung Galaxy S II AT&T i777 off eBay, and am using that on Straight Talk. Thing is, I am getting five bars on signal and that's better than any carrier I have ever had, here in my "bunker" residence. Also, speedtest.net shows I am getting 1.5 megabits download and 800K upload. I am fine with that for $45 unlimited.

Back to Metro, I think they are on an aggressive campaign to keep customers and get new ones. So the call is to save the account? The timing seems right for it to be that.

The other thing it could be is that I complained to MetroPCSRebates.com or something like that, that Metro did not ever give me my $100 rebate from my purchasing the LG Esteem back in October 2011. On the complaint/inquiry form I said that twice Metro promised the rebate issue would be fixed and it was not. So I told them they could keep the rebate and I would simply canceling the account.

Were they calling about my rebate complaint? I dunno, but I doubt it.

Upvote 0
Well, I have to fess up. :eek: I was trying to see if I could DL a torrent (this was just the other night). I really wanted to watch a movie, and I was stuck somewhere, bored. lol Something I have spoken out against myself right here in these very forums. Well, FWIW, I wouldn't plan to make a habit out of it, and I kind of just wanted to see if it would work, I hadn't heard of anyone having any success with torrents over tether. So I thought I would give it a try...

Well, I have to report, it didn't work for me. I of course tweaked uTorrent down to reasonable UL/DL limits, based on my connection. I didn't mess with a lot of settings other than that, but I couldn't get it to work on first try. Maybe I will try again some other time...

[details] I had my PC tethered via wifi to my phone, using uTorrent. Got the torrent to start in uTorrent, but then 0kb up or down on that torrent, nor any others for that matter. After leaving it run in the background for like 30 mins while checking email, surfing, IRC, etc. on PC, I gave up and shut down uTorrent.

Well anyway, I wonder if that had anything to do with anything? Maybe not. But I gotta go, there are some black helicopters outside... :cool::cool: lolz

Just thought you'd like to know...

First I started with barnicle... then accidently updated the metro easywifi crap, that killed the wifi hotspot..

didn't feel like total wipe of phone... so I usb tethered...

used a couple free tethering apps, they worked for http, but not torrents....Then the free tethering apps decided their 10day trial expires at 3 days (Download limit reached)...

so I got Easytether... Cracked that by downloading an older version which shows your phone code... then reinstalled new version, and put that code in... worked 10x times faster than the other POS programs...

then they eventually that didn't work... metro TOS... found you needed UA String moddifed just for initial http check.... after fixing UA String, you couldn't get into Netflix withough changeing your UAString back... but it worked... all you had to do is swap it back when you wanted netflix or any other site that requires it... otherwise you'll usually pull up a mobile version of their sites...

Eventually I figured out that you need "Forced Encription" on Utorrent to download torrents... worked perfect... prob got 30+ gigs in a month...

next month that didn't work... everytime I pulled up torrents, it would kick it out in a few minutes...

Changed Download limit to 75K,.... that fixed that problem...

Then Easytether stopped working... Back to TOS messages... and 4g shuts off down to 1g and wont come back for 10 minutes...

Finally frustrated, I Reset the phone back to my rooted version... Then Installed barnicle...

That fixed it all again... TOS Only pops up when you go to HTTP first... so I always check my mail first...

Then Barnicle started haveing issues... after about 10mb it resets the connection and barnicle doesn't work... I had to close and reopen Barnicle after ever 10-20 mb... fine for surfing but a pain for netflix or torrents...

Changed wifi tether to Open Garden... Much faster and workes great... back to 30+gb a month... still needs the torrent forced encription, and needs limit set to 75k... back to 30+gb a month...LOL

hope all that info helps everyone...

Reactions: maxroach
Upvote 0
I have always been able to download torrents thru utorrent via wifi tether. I usually get between 80kbs-160kbs depending on the seeds. I think your right about having to set your encryption to FORCED because I have always had mine forced and never had a problem (until the metro TOS message). I'm Wireless Tether for Root Users.

Upvote 0
As stated in the title, I got a call today (missed it actually, I was out of my truck at the time) from "METRO PCS" at 888-863-8768.

I was thinking maybe they were just going to give some recording with a promotional offer, maybe another message from Snoop, something like that... but then no message was left... :thinking:

Now I just paid my bill the other day, so I don't think it had anything to do with that either...

So then my wheels started turning upstairs... Do you think they somehow know I am tethering or something and are on to me? :eek: Or am I just being really paranoid? :cool:

Did anyone else receive any calls from Metro recently? If so, did you answer? If so, what was it all about?
YOU ARE NOT BUSTED AND YOU CAN STOP FREAKING OUT.
THAT PHONE CALL FROM 8888638768 IS ONLY ASKING FOR YOUR OPINION ON YOUR RECENT VISIT TO METROPCS.
I PURCHASED A DIFFERENT PHONE FROM THEM YESTERDAY, AND I RECEIVED THE AUTOMATED SURVEY PHONE CALL TODAY.
YOU'RE SAFE FROM BLACK HELICOPTERS.
EVEL in Texas

Upvote 0
YOU ARE NOT BUSTED AND YOU CAN STOP FREAKING OUT.
THAT PHONE CALL FROM 8888638768 IS ONLY ASKING FOR YOUR OPINION ON YOUR RECENT VISIT TO METROPCS.
I PURCHASED A DIFFERENT PHONE FROM THEM YESTERDAY, AND I RECEIVED THE AUTOMATED SURVEY PHONE CALL TODAY.
YOU'RE SAFE FROM BLACK HELICOPTERS.
EVEL in Texas

U realize this is an old thread lol. Just assuring u the subject in matter has been addressed and solved.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones