• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Got a question about Wifi.

I have a tmobile mytouch 4g 200 mb data plan.

Question is , I have heard in some places that it does use your data , and in some others that it doesnt.

This is what I did

- I went to settings > wireless and networks > Mobile network ( i turned off )
- Than i went to settings > wireless and networks > Mobile networks > Access Point Names > created my own access name with ip 127.0.0.1

I was told if i did that and used that new access name , than my phone wont be connecting to the internet with tmobile and waste my 200mb data plan. Is this true ?

Next question is , i have my own wifi router at home. If i connect my mytouch 4g to my wifi router and use the internet, while same time i have my configurations like i stated above. Will me using the internet while connected to wifi use my data 200 mb plan ? WIll i get a higher bill ?

Im new to android and data plans so please bare with me :rolleyes:

Nope, using Wi-Fi shouldn't effect your data plan. I decided to test being throttled last month. I streamed netflix constantly until I got throttled after 5GBs. I'm now streaming it through my available wi-fi connections. I now only use my network data for downloading apps, GPS and other minimal data usage functions. I like that the new Gingerbread update gives a quick settings dropdown to switch off the network data so that I can stick to wi-fi when needed.

Upvote 0
So im glad that using wifi wont affect my data plan usage :) meaning i can use wifi :)

but is this true

"

This is what I did

- I went to settings > wireless and networks > Mobile network ( i turned off )
- Than i went to settings > wireless and networks > Mobile networks > Access Point Names > created my own access name with ip 127.0.0.1

I was told if i did that and used that new access name , than my phone wont be connecting to the internet with tmobile and waste my 200mb data plan. Is this true ?

"

Upvote 0
I don't know why you'd need to create a new access point. The only time I've ever needed to do that was when I was using a Samsung Behold II to access 4.99 unlimited internet through my t-zones account. Other than that, I don't know if adding the IP access point has much bearing. That's a good question. When you use wi-fi calling, that uses your cellphone minutes but I haven't seen wi-fi data reflected in data usage as far as I can tell. Where'd you get the tip from? I'll experiment with.

Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones