• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Got an MMS from an unknown number - should I be concerned?

Meelio

Lurker
Apr 21, 2014
So, this morning I received an MMS message from an unknown number. The attachment was 904kb and didn't download after my LG G2 automatically tried twice.
If this message was just from some number I don't know I wouldn't be concerned... the problem is it came in from "Unknown Number" and has no actual number attached to it. I can't call it, and when I pull up the options I only got delete, forward and something else... As I was typing out this question, however, the message expired and was erased? I have no idea what is going on, but should I be concerned? If it weren't for the whole heartbleed fiasco, and the fact that my phone sporadically pops up a message saying "authorization failed" (which I still need to figure out, too) I wouldn't be concerned, but all this strange behavior is getting a little creepy.
Any ideas, Android Fanatics?

That's a possibility, but I am registered with all the EMS things to get emails, too (Notify NYC, the amber alert system, the severe weather folks, etc.) so I'm pretty sure I would've gotten something to corroborate.

That did get me thinking, however; could it possibly have anything to do with the texts from the voicemail app that I periodically receive? I almost immedieately delete those now, but it's usually telling me about some kind of activation and "db=15" (I believe). One of those appeared when the aforementioned text was deleted...

Upvote 0
If it originated from something on the internet, that might show "Unknown number". When friends call or message me using Skype-Out, that often shows "Unknown number", occasionally strange numbers that can't exist. Basically because something on the internet may not have a phone number it can show.

Did it only happen the once, if so don't worry about it. If it's happening repeatedly, then that could be annoying.

Upvote 0
I'd personally be concerned - Mainly since the heartbleed bug is lingering around.

The only thing is, idk what I'd do about it....If anything crazy were to happen, I guess I'd factory reset and load on a new rom..Or at last resort, get a new phone.

I don't exactly know how dangerous the heartbleed bug is, but I keep hearing the name. So I assume it's very dangerous....

Upvote 0
I'd personally be concerned - Mainly since the heartbleed bug is lingering around.

The only thing is, idk what I'd do about it....If anything crazy were to happen, I guess I'd factory reset and load on a new rom..Or at last resort, get a new phone.

I don't exactly know how dangerous the heartbleed bug is, but I keep hearing the name. So I assume it's very dangerous....

While Heartbleed is indeed a major concern, and we do have a forum sticky about it here...
http://androidforums.com/showthread.php?p=6516445

I'm quite sure it has nothing to do with receiving an MMS message from an unknown number. It's very likely it was just spam, and no need to factory reset, change ROMs or even be buying a new phone. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones