Got GPS problems with Froyo ROMs? Try this!

Last Updated:

1. AdrianC14

AdrianC14 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

The one thing I just couldn't get to work was Navigation in Froyo ROMs. It would always get stuck at "Searching for GPS." Well on xda, a fellow member (Thank you ahjee) told me to flash the new CFS kernal from Conap (Thank you Conap and Decad3nce.) So this is what I did to finally get the Navigation to work!!!

1. Reboot into recovery and make a Nandroid backup just in case.
    2. Wipe Dalvik cache
    3. Flash new CFS kernal [GPL]2.6.29.6 CFS Kernel 9/4/10 - xda-developers
    (There is also a BFS kernal which is only if you want high benchmarks, CFS is for overall stability)
    4. Once rebooted, clear the data of Maps in Settings > Applications > Manage Applications
    5. Open up Maps and put in directions to an address, then click Navigate.
    6. Once Navigation is up and running, it will get stuck at "Searching for GPS." Make a sandwich, wash dishes, etc.
    7. Sooner or later it will get pass the "Searching for GPS" stage. (It took 15 minutes for me)
    8. Navigation should be working instantly now, back out of Navigation, try a new address, and Navigation should instantly work without having to go through "Searching for GPS."

Advertisement
  2. AdrianC14

When you reboot your Eris, Navigation may get stuck at "Searching for GPS."

Just repeat steps 4-7.

3. The Natural

The Natural Member

Sorry for what might be a dumb question but when you flash this do you do it in the same way you would a rom?

4. AdrianC14

Yes.

5. The Natural

The Natural Member

6. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

On xda-developers forum, people are recommending the free market app GPS Status. From menu->settings->GPS & sensors, Manage A-GPS state and reset. I'd try that before flashing a new kernel. I'd think that Conap's kerel would work fine for his CELB Froyo, but would it cause problems with Kaor Froyo, who uses a different kernel?

7. AdrianC14

Hmm, I'll check out that app, but isn't it the same thing as clearing the data of maps?

Kaos released his own kernel. [KERNEL] 2.6.29 Kaos AOSP kernel OC/BFS/EXT4 - xda-developers

8. The Natural

The Natural Member

9. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

I don't think so; it is clearing the data of the GPS sensor.

10. AdrianC14

I suggest using the kernel I posted in the OP. If you are using KaosFroyo, you can try the one I just posted.

11. The Natural

The Natural Member

I have Kaos so I guess I'll try the other kernal. Although I think first I'll do the whole clearing and waiting thing to see if that does anything without flashing a new one.

12. The Natural

The Natural Member

Just clearing the maps data worked for me! I cleared then went to maps preparing for a long wait but instead it worked instantly. Anyone else having problems try clearing the data first to see if that fixes it before you do anything else.

13. AdrianC14

Ok so I downloaded GPS Status and did the reset and download, it seems to help speed GPS up a bit. Thanks for the tip doogald.

14. MJL

MJL Well-Known Member

LOL I posted some of my findings on xda in the cfs thread. But just to give you the run down, after rebooting, I woke the phone and before I could unlock it rebooted itself. After that I couldnt get it past the skateboards.

Before that my gps was working great after flashing, I hope I can get it back soon.

15. Night_Watchman

Night_Watchman Member

Are any of the newer Froyo roms already running on this kernel? In KaosFroyo v32 the GPS problems were so bad for me it was a deal-breaker. I switched back to the latest version of xtrRom. I'll probably wait for this to be incorporated into a new ROM and give it a shot then.

Also I'm curious as to what would cause a state where I'd have to wait ~15 min for the GPS to initialize again (according to the OP experience). Rebooting the phone? Clearing the maps cache? Shutdown of the maps process? And it's not just Maps and Navigation that use the GPS, I have several other programs that use it and all have problems getting a lock on KaosFroyo v32.

16. AdrianC14

Well probably the first time it will take about 15 mins, after that it will lock on much faster.