• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Got Hero-Skip Evo-Buy Sabor?

tazcollins

Jan 21, 2010
Ft. Worth, Tx.
I clicked on a link today by jarnold which took me to a short review of the Sabor by OZCARguide. I wasn't aware of the htc Sprint Sabor. I was just thinking about holding on to my wonderful Hero and waiting on something like the Sabor. By the time I'll get the Evo it will probably be outdated anyway. So what do you think? :D TC

I figure by the time our upgrades are avail in October something else will be in the works or will be released that is pretty bad ass in comparison to the EVO or Epic

Agreed. If the Evo is still top of it's class in October and nothing else is looking promising in the next few months, the Evo it will be. Not a fan of the Epic, so it's not even an option in my book.

Upvote 0
I am SO ready to get rid of my Hero but I have zero interest in the Evo. Although we haven't heard much yet about a predecessor to the Hero or Evo (probably since the Evo is so new) I have a theory here, much like what @NYCHitman1 said.
The Hero was released Oct '09. Most Hero owners by now are Premier customers, if they weren't before. Being a Premier customer makes you eligible for an upgrade after 1 year. It stands to reason that if all of these people (Hero owners) will be eligible for an upgrade this October, Sprint would take FULL advantage of us...I mean THIS! They would be foolish to not have a new carrot to dangle in front of our faces & if they really want to apologize for all the mistakes they've made with the Hero they will make it absolutely amazing. Ok...this is Sprint so I'm coming back to reality! I really do think Sprint has something in the works for us. If not the Sabor it's gotta be something else. I agree with @Kelmar, the Epic does not interest me at all. Odds are, Hero owners will want to replace their phones with another virtual keyboard not a QWERTY.

Upvote 0
Agreed. If the Evo is still top of it's class in October and nothing else is looking promising in the next few months, the Evo it will be. Not a fan of the Epic, so it's not even an option in my book.

I'm with you there. Stole the words right from my fingertips. I hate physical QWERTY keyboards. They just make the phone bulky and eat up more battery lol :p

Upvote 0
The Epic 4G actually looks pretty interesting in my opinion. Samsung has placed their own UI skin on top of Android, I forget what its called but it makes the phone a social dynomite. After using my Hero I really can't see myself going to the Evo 4G which is vastly faster than the Hero. I really like it but its just a faster and bigger Hero with a few (but great) extra features. I personally just want to try out another Android experience other than Sense UI.

Upvote 0
End of year (holiday) debuts are pretty commonplace.
After picking up the Hero in October, we saw the Nexus1 and Droid right on its heels. Not that they were on Sprint, but there seems to be a quickening pace since then.

Not that I necessarily believe all of what the "Sabor" is rumored to be, but no part of me doubts for a second that the Evo will not be the latest and greatest by January. Not even on Sprint. Particularly since we've been told we're supposed to be seeing 2ghz processors by then.
I'm not nearly dissatisfied enough with my Hero (thanks to root and flipz) to run out and get the Evo or anything else in October. I'll just end up regretting it in two months.

Upvote 0
Samsung has placed their own UI skin on top of Android, I forget what its called but it makes the phone a social dynomite.

The Samsung interface is called Touchwiz by Samsung and Touchmywiz by all the suckers who bought the Behold 2. It is by far the worst interface ever thought of for a phone. The version on the Behold 2 had no special "social networking" widgets or anything that actually improved on Android's vanilla interface. Having owned the Moment with vanilla Android, the Behold 2 with Touchwiz and the Hero with Sense I can honestly say I would never purchase a phone with Touchwiz again, no matter how much they "improve" it. I also can't say I would ever buy another Samsung phone with the way they promised to upgrade the Behold 2 to Android 2.x and then they decided not to and just pulled the video of them promising it off the web. I would go back to using an entry level phone with no "smart" features before buying another Samsung after they pulled that stunt.

Upvote 0
I dont even want to imagine what a 2ghz processor is gonna do to a battery. the evo cant even hold a charge with 1ghz. with current battery technology, the only way to make it last longer is to make it bigger. the only way this phone will even be borderline feasible will be to make it 2 inches thick. I hate to say it but as awesome as a 2ghz phone would be, i dont see it happening anytime soon.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones