• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Does your Eris have a lag problem?

• No lag at all

Votes: 30 12.2%
  • A little

Votes: 114 46.3%
  • A moderate ammount

Votes: 71 28.9%
  • Quite a bit

Votes: 28 11.4%
  • My phone is almost unusable

Votes: 3 1.2%

• Total voters

OfTheDamned

The Friendly Undead
Oct 29, 2009
Right Behind You
Alright, pretty simple poll really. Does your Eris lag? If you answer in the last category let us know what, if anything, you have tried to correct the problem. Also, list some of your specs for us. Let us know how many apps you have installed, what your available memory is, when the last time you cleared your cache, etc.

My keyboard never used to lag, but is spotty now; ever since I uninstalled ATK. I know I shouldn't be using it, but I may have to go back.

My view is that if something works for you then that is what you should do. The main reason I have had such a problem with task killers is that we were all being told that we HAD to have one when we first picked up our phones. I don't think it is a necessity and I see that a lot of people have no problems at all while not using one. Others seem to have major problems if they don't use one. The OS really is designed to handle all of this on its own, but some apps are just not written properly for Android and a task manager may be needed if those apps are used. Normally though, if someone goes for a week or more without a task killer they see that it isn't necessary.

Upvote 0
I vote "a little". Sometimes it lags a bit, particularly when I turn it on and try to swipe the lock screen and the lock pattern. Once it is home, though, it rarely lags.

The people widget lags, so I just ended up deleting it. I have the messaging widget on one screen and that also lags, but I like being able to swipe through my last message from each person who's sent me something.

Upvote 0
A little, as stated before, it's mostly the delay of hanging up the phone. To ME, that takes longer than it should. Everything else seems to work just fine.

BTW, I got a chuckle at my mental image of OfTheDamned cringing when Caddy said he used ATM. (Yep, I saw OTD's later response to someone else's usage of a task killer.) It's just interesting to me that the two 'smartest' people on the forum :) have such a different view of task killers - insofar as I'm willing to bet that OTD doesn't have one on her phone...

Upvote 0
I'm firmly in the "a little" category. Have about 50 apps installed, no idea when the last time I cleared my cache is. Do run dolphin, and have that cache on the SD card, which seems to have improved things (though maybe only in my head :) ).

Also, I use ATM as well (actually bought it based on Caddy's recommendation, and love it). Works like a charm. Two or three times a day, tops, my phone will start to crawl a little, I tap the "kill all" widget, and poof... she's running smooth again. I think using task managers/killers is fine, as long as you use it right... I'm not neurotic about it, I don't kill apps willy-nilly, I try to exit out of any app manually, and I add any apps that I know will just re-start to ATM's exclude list. Basically, it's my lag-buster, and little more :)

Upvote 0
The phone can't keep up with my texting speed. Posting on forums from it results in my words missing a few letters and also not being auto-corrected and causing me to go back and fix them. I'm not sure what the Droid and N1 speeds are when opening menus and such, but I don't have what someone would consider "snappy."

Upvote 0
A little, as stated before, it's mostly the delay of hanging up the phone. To ME, that takes longer than it should. Everything else seems to work just fine.

BTW, I got a chuckle at my mental image of OfTheDamned cringing when Caddy said he used ATM. (Yep, I saw OTD's later response to someone else's usage of a task killer.) It's just interesting to me that the two 'smartest' people on the forum :) have such a different view of task killers - insofar as I'm willing to bet that OTD doesn't have one on her phone...

LOL No I didn't cringe at Caddys use of a Task Manager and I certainly don't consider myself one of the smartest people here. I help where I can, but there are some things I have no clue about. You are right about one thing, I don't have a task killer/manager on my phone. Any app I have installed that causes problems gets removed really quickly.:D I don't have any lag and I don't want any.

As I said before, people need to use what they need to use. I just have a problem with everyone telling people that they have to have something that, with improper use, can really mess up the experience this phone has to offer. The whole reason I started this poll had to do with a few people's comments about the "overwhelming" lag problems that "everyone" was having with their phone and this requiring the use of a task killer. Closing apps through a quit option or backing out of apps is the best task killer out there, but if you can't do it or have apps that won't close then other measures may need to be taken.

Did I at least look good cringing? ;)

Upvote 0
No lag here, unless my RAM drops below 30M- then it's pretty noticeable. I use Taskiller widget a couple times a day when it gets to this level and the phone runs snappy. I've tried the phone without a task killer and I had fairly bad lag without. My wife has an Eris with no task killer and her phone is always snappy so maybe it's some of the apps I'm running :dunno:. My view on the whole task killer thing is use whatever works for you.

I have about 20 apps installed. 3rd party widgets I'm running:

Weather Channel
Pure Grid
Smooth Calendar
Sports tap

Also using stock browser, StatusNotes, Handcent

Edit- I typically clear cache once a week. Also have 8Gb class 6 SD card

Upvote 0
Had some keyboard lag, amazingly enough I replaced the original with the two gesture ones and ended up picking swype. None since then.

There was also lag in thumbing through my home screens and I had to constantly clear my browser cache. But haven't really had to worry about it since I put swype on for some reason. I would say at the moment I'm putting up with little to moderate lag at the most.

Upvote 0
I put moderate.. When some apps are doing work, they add lag, most noticeably, Sports Tap... When there's a game going on thats in my favorites, I have to ATK the app to keep my phone useable. Texting can be laggy, however less so since using handcent. Browser isn't too bad. The phone can be the worst, starting a phone call, ending a call, its a little crazy. But its not awful enough for me to not like the phone or anything.

Upvote 0
lag? hmmmmmmmm i cant really say, my eris is lightyears faster than my blackberry curve. but portrait to landscape takes umm for ever. if i compair it to our droid hells ya its slow. but yes the droid is a way faster ... everything. id say yes i have lag. lots. i wanna make it faster .. overclocking it, root, 2.yarightwearegettingtheupdate

Upvote 0
I have a little lag. I have about 50 apps installed. Just cleared my cache for the first time while reading this thread, lol. I do have ATK installed, but haven't used it for about a week. No noticeable difference between then and now with battery life. It actually seems a little better the last few days, but I sum that up to having it plugged into my pc while downloading music. I have been backing out of apps on a regualr basis now. I notice lag when ending phone calls and going into the music player, some in loading the album. Nothing terrible though. I did just upgrade the sd card to my old class 4. I don't really notice any improvement with that, so I will upgrade to a class 6 in the future. We'll see if clearing the cache helps. I love this phone, (came from the moto droid) especially since I have swype again (big cyper smooch for the guy who posted that link!). All I need now is the navigation back and I'll be set for a while :p

Upvote 0
ATM all the way baby! :)
ever since i put that on, set it up so that it kills all apps every half hour (except the ones i explicitly exclude) i have had 95% smooth operator status!:cool:

i havent cleared my cache since the last rom actually...
i honestly believe coming from winmo has taught me better mobile management.

its simple, you only need to open what u r using at that time!
if u want to multi-task (like i do) i would SUGGEST ATM (advanced task manager). clearing cache can only help....though i only use the dolphin browser an i changed the settings to save my cache to the SD. with winmo, if you had 15megs of ram...that was pretty good (on an uncooked rom anyway). i maintain 60-70megs free at all times so...im always coasting! :cool:

Upvote 0
I voted a little lag. I have about 20 or so apps installed. I dont really use any of them too often, unless im bored at work. The phone can be a little laggy at times during normal usage (phone calls and texting), but every now and then it will get unbearable. Sometimes i can open advanced task manager and it seems like almost all of my apps are running in the background even though i havent used half of them. Can usually do a restart or kill everything with advanced task manager and its back to normal again. Im not complaining, just being specific. I love my phone :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones