Got my Eclair update and eating it too.General

Last Updated:

1. swc2001

swc2001 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

SUCCESS!!!
    Well I gotta tell ya it was an arduous road to get there.
    Number one thanks to all that helped me and gave me ideas to try.
    I would like to give a special thanks to Dots who took time out of his evening to help me brain storm this Bizzarre problem.
    First off As everyone knows you cant take the update with the recovery system on the phone. I didnt know that. LOL so the update hit and I tried it. No bueno. Ok so I freak and think I missed froyo or somthing stupid like that.
    Well the bad thing now was after I tried to get the update My Recovery kep saying Error run nandroid-mobile.sh
    So I tried that. I found my back ups this way but didn

Advertisement
  2. zaphodbebleebrox

zaphodbebleebrox Well-Known Member

ver B (now known as "da B") deletes some apps on power off & then back on. Home Run Derby & Duke Nukem 3D are the latest i have found doing this.

this is total bullsh*t that a operating system loses apps due to a system update.

3. thelostsoul

thelostsoul Well-Known Member

In order for an OS to KEEP installed applications after a firmware update, it would first have to backup all the apps and their data to a location prior to running. Which would require a large amount of space inside the phone since it can't rely on a memory card for that. It would also have to be able to locate all the data for these apps and know where it stores it. And then restoring it all would be fun, especially if it finds that those files exist already and has to decide whether to copy back the files and risk breaking the update.

This would all be an incredible amount of work for an incredibly unreliable update method. If you are referring to how the iPhone keeps apps, the truth is, it DOESN'T! It deletes them all then has them linked to your account and reinstalls them if they're compatible with the update, losing all data.

Android lets you do that too. There are ton of application backup apps. Search the market a bit to find one you like.

4. Johnny Langton

Johnny Langton Well-Known Member

The problem is not during or immediately after the update. Some apps are being removed or rendered non-functional upon reboots after the update process is completed. Even after re-installing those apps.
    JL

5. dots

dots Well-Known Member

Glad you finally got your phone the way you wanted. :D

6. zaphodbebleebrox

zaphodbebleebrox Well-Known Member

Johnny is right on. I think another update is on the way.