• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Got my FM transmitter for EVO yesterday

philly0128

Jul 11, 2010
Philly
purchase this from amazon my FM transmitter ordered it sat, got it weds. tried it this morning. I love the fact that it will charge the phone at the same time. it's easy to use, just click the on button, pick a fm station on the transmitter and then turn your car radio to that station and start listening to music.

I logged a case with the company that produce it to see if there's anything I can do here. I notice it's a little staticy. I can find a station where I get no static prior to playing my music, then while playing I will here the static in the background.

This is my 1st FM transmitter and as I was coming into work I turned it to a higher station and it seem to eliminate the noise, I have to see if it's permanently gone or if it was just temporary. I wanted to know if anyone has this transmitter or if there are any transmitter that 100% noise free?

it will depend on the strength of a signal that is broadcast on the same frequency as you have selected. even if you select a frequency that seems to have no radio station there are interferance noise, and stations far away whos signal is reaching you even if you hear only static when tuning to that station.

you will be at it's whim. you can usually find a frequency that works pretty well, but as you travel that can change, and other stations may have to be used.

i use one for my Zune, and get decent sound quality in my area. it has 3 presets to use when traveling to places where it under performs.

Upvote 0
I'm no expert, but I've seen a few other threads here talk about Ground Loop Isolators. It eliminates the interference or static that can occur just from the car running when you are charging a device and transmitting simultaneously. It might do the trick? (use the search tool to search the Evo forum for it)

Most of those threads reference 3.5MM audio cable that isolates the ground somehow, but since your new transmitter has a 3.5MM already attached to it you might have to do something different.
You could maybe add the 3.5MM grounding cable option by splicing it onto the existing cable or via a adapter of some sort, but I don't know for sure that it would work. Splicing a cable on is iffy, and any adapters you add are going to degrade your signal and audio quality.

I might be spouting off stupid ideas, but maybe there is a way to isolate the ground to the FM Transmitter in some way, or the power outlet (cigarette lighter port) that is supplying the power. Search the net or a car parts place and you might be able to find a solution for the latter option?

(No offense on you or your purchase, but the item you purchased kinda looks like a cheap piece of junk to me)

Upvote 0
this is where i have to lean Ipod. I have an alpine HU with a direct cable connection that charges the ipod while i control the ipod with the hu. any other type of connection is inferior, including fm transmitters and 3.5mm jacks and evo's. that's just a sad reality.
No kidding a closed direct connection is better than OTA. Frankly, I'm looking to get a similar (but better quality) thing working in my car b/c I do not have a 3.5mm input on my car's radio/CD player, and I don't want to spend a ton of money to mod my BMW.

Thanks but no thanks for the complete lack of input. FYI, what do you think the difference is between an Evo with a 3.5mm and your ipod hu? You have 2x the mounted equipment in your car and it yields the same resulting sound quality (actually, being an ipod, you have fewer options with what you can do). So the Ipod-to-HU-to-Stereo is actually an inferior connection to an Evo-to-Stereo.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones