Got my Incedible, but 3g won't work?Support

Last Updated:

1. Ashrac

Ashrac New Member This Topic's Starter

So I was happy I got my Incredible yesterday. Got it out, got it setup, used the Wi-Fi to set it up and download my apps. Then I put it in the case and left the house. Nothing seemed to be working. I noticed that there was no 3g access and under network settings for Mobile Network it just gets stuck at "Turning On".

I've tried Airplane Mode, disabling Wi-Fi, factory reset, even changed the home area code per Verizon's instructions. They finally told me it was a hardware area, marked it as a DOA on my account and told me to go into the store for an exchange. Of course the store didn't have any in yet, and the guy there had never even seen the phone yet. So now they told me to come back Thursday.

Seems like a really great phone, but right now, it does pretty much the same thing my old nokia did back in '98.

Advertisement
  2. atlbuc

atlbuc Well-Known Member

That sucks, I'd be up there 1st thing Thursday.

3. todoubled

todoubled Member

I had the same problem yesterday. You need to get on the phone to verizon and they will fix it. It took like 30mins on the phone but my 3g works now. They said there was a problem on their end of new users switching from no data plans to data plans but that has been fixed. For some reason on their end it still looks like you are using your old phone. Hope this helps.

ericwho likes this.
  4. Ashrac

Im switching from a BB Storm BBIS plan to the normal data. I asked them if that was an issue, they claimed it wasn't.

5. sooper_droid12

sooper_droid12 Well-Known Member

I was playing around with my buddy's Incredible that he received yesterday. I noticed that compared to my DROID, I was getting about 3 bars of 3G where his Incredible was waffling between 1 bar and getting no signal. I'm wondering if the Incredible didn't inherit the weak 3G antennae that plagues all of the Nexus One clones?

6. Jedi54

Jedi54 Well-Known Member

Damn it, exact same problem as the OP. On my BB right now. Hopefully once I get out of this all day seminar I can call Big Red and get this resolved so I won't have to get an exchange

7. ericwho

ericwho New Member

This worked for me. Just got off a call with Verizon. They asked me to pull the battery, then they do something on their end. After that, I popped the battery back in (turned off wi-fi) and tested out the browser. Phone is now connecting to 3g. Thanks todoubled!

8. Ashrac

I called again and they still couldn't get it to work. They called my local store though and had them reserve an exchange for me tomorrow at least.

9. dylo22

dylo22 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't put too much stock in the amount of bars the phone shows. They all vary and none of them are really accurate. Of course it would be different case if you had trouble getting a 3g signal or keeps dropping calls. Then I would say the incredible has a weaker antennae.

10. jorell

jorell Member

I had the same issue yesterday. Got on the phone with them - the first CSR wasn't able to solve the issue so it was escalated. The second CSR was able to fix it - initially, she said it she'd have to follow up today, but I had a lot of other questions (new VZW customer). In that time, she got a response from their engineering team and the issue was resolved. She also helped me get YahooMail online - it wasn't connecting/authenticating properly.

All in all, I was on the phone for almost an hour, but it was very helpful. I told her that a number of folks had received the phones very early (call-in pre-orders), but I got mine yesterday. I certainly wasn't talking to some clueless entry-level CSR. Great first customer-service experience for me.

You should call them if you haven't already done so.

11. jorell

jorell Member

Sorry - didn't see this comment prior to my other post- it looks like you already called a couple of times. They were able to get it working for me yesterday after a few changes to the settings and some reboots.

12. slumpey

slumpey Well-Known Member

this is happening to me also, when I am on the internet is just goes in 1x mode. Is this correct.

13. x0x

x0x Well-Known Member

They need to switch your data plan over. If they didn't get that right, they probably screwed something else up too. Give them a ring back.

14. jishaq

jishaq Member

Someone posted an identical question on a separate thread about two hours before the OP posted this thread, so this is a duplicate thread:

http://androidforums.com/htc-incredible/69236-phone-wont-connect-data-network.html

In that thread, the consensus at present is 'It's a problem on Verizon's end, gotta talk to top-tier tech support to fix it'.

Good luck with your cellular data. I'm in the same boat.

-Jeff

15. Jedi54

Jedi54 Well-Known Member

update on my phone: I called Big Red last night and explained to them that my data package was not working at all on my Incredible, but that it was still active on my old phone.
    The CSR was not able to resolve the problem but a quick transfer to Tech Support and all is well in the world again. :)

I did change my data plan when I ordered this phone (went from $45 to $30 plan) so that might thrown a monkey wrench into things.

16. JRamynke

JRamynke Guest

I got two Incredibles on Tuesday and I had the exact same issue. After 4 hours on the phone and in the store, the issue was fixed by changing my phone number. So, have them change your phone number if you have this issue.

17. Jedi54

Jedi54 Well-Known Member

what?
    you shouldn't have to change your phone number, that doesn't make any sense. I've had this same number for 10+ years, no phone on the planet is worth me losing this #.
    Did they change the number and then change it back to your original? That I could see but you didnt' mention that so I'm wondering if now you have a whole new #.
    New to VZ or existing customer?

18. axel_2078

axel_2078 Well-Known Member

Yeah, the number change thing didn't make much sense to me either.

19. abadgti

abadgti Well-Known Member

Same with my phone. My Droid had 3 bars of 3g at home and my DI goes between one bar of 3g and 1x. I think MOTO phones are known for their great reception though.

20. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 Well-Known Member

Something happened to the network yesterday, it may not have been an Incredible problem.
    I have a Moto Droid and a few folks that I work with have BB's and none of us could get 3G service. I called VRZ and they said there was no issue with the towers in the area and asked me to remove my battery. I tried to explain that that would not help the BB users but "Holly" didn't want to hear that and actually hung up on me (under the guise of transferring me to tech support). I called back, they still said it was not a network issue but ended up taking me "offline" and putting me back "online", whatever they did worked for me. The BB users were still SOL though. lol, go figure. They all called and eventually got service back too.
    Something certainly went wrong at Verizon though...

21. JRamynke

JRamynke Guest

I shouldn't have to change my number, but I use Google Voice anyway so it doesn't matter to me. I spent 4 hours on the phone and in the store, so I didn't care what it took to fix it. They didn't change it back since I don't care about the number.

22. Trooper

Trooper Well-Known Member

How do you guys know its not working? Can you not go on the internet? Or is the 3G icon up top just not showing up?

23. Jim_1234

Jim_1234 Active Member

On my phone when I'm connected to wifi it turns off the mobile network. Turn off wifi and 3g shows back up. I can still receive calls.

This is weird though I looked at my phone and it only shows 1 bar, i placed a call and as soon as I click call I get 4 bars. When I hang up it goes back to 1 bar?

24. This_Is_Kyle

This_Is_Kyle Well-Known Member

So with my old Storm I had full service in my house, with the Incredible I'm getting no bars to 1 bar.

25. Reddog80p

Reddog80p Well-Known Member

Thats because the 3G coverage. 3G can communicate with more cell towers simultaneously and process more data. Turning on your wi-fi must connect you to 2G or something similar which limits the amount of cell towers you use.